Laptop display flicker or wrong resolution when resuming from sleep mode ?
A common issue with Vista laptops is that the screen flickers when Windows loads, or when resuming from sleep mode. Sometimes the display resolution is wrong when resuming from sleep mode as well.
Often the cause of this problem is the MS service called Transient Multimon Manager (TMM). This (supposedly) makes it easier to run multiple displays by auto-detecting a second monitor. The side effect being, it often also causes an annoying screen flicker when starting Windows.
Here's how to fix that display flicker on boot:
1. Click on the Windows Start button
2. Navigate to Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Task Scheduler
3. On the left-hand side, click "Task Scheduler Local"
4. Expand "Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > MobilePC"
5. Find the "TMM" task in the top middle section.
6. Right-click TMM, choose "Disable"
Note: The side-effect of doing this is auto-detection of a second monitor may no longer work. You can still enable a second monitor manually as needed.