DSL Hell2001-02-01 (updated: 2014-08-17) by Jeff L.
I use Bellsouth as my DSL provider and was one of the first dozen or so implemented during rollout of their service. I was told that I should get an excellent connection and should get a very high transfer rate due to my location.
The engineers came out to install at my house, a half dozen due to their on-site training, and said that I had an excellent signal strength at the NID. A week before the phone company sent someone out to replace my NID so that it would work with service (pre-splitterless DSL). They couldn't get a signal in my office although the repeater gave them a signal at the NID. They put in trouble ticket for location AND one for the previous location who couldn't have the service. Mine would be repairable.
Several weeks later with no response or service call, I called the support line and received the run around that service wasn't available in my area. The damn switch is around the corner from my house so I had to insist that it was the other trouble ticket that got entered at the same time got information put into my ticket. Someone would be out in a week, was the response. Almost 2 weeks later, a tech came out and I helped him troubleshoot the problem.
We put a repeater on the line in my office and traced it through my attic and checked any extensions or splits along the way. We traced it through the master bedroom jack all the way out to the NID on the back of the house with a strong signal. Checking the RJ11 jack on the NIDs splitter bar showed no signal. We checked the main line and had signal. The splitter bar had signal up to the screws except on one line. The casing was under the screw causing the broken connection. Fixing this got me 1.5MB and better download rates. It doesn't end yet.
Several months later I had problems with transfer rates, getting dropped connections, and no connections. After a half dozen or so 2 hour plus calls to support doing everything they wanted, the problem still existed. I was told that they would have to drop the service. I told them to wait a couple weeks. During then I noticed that I was hearing other calls on my cordless phone so I changed to a corded phone. The same problems occurred. I could even hear someone dialing. I put in a land line problem call and had them page me when the repairman was coming. I met him at the curb and had him check the second point of dialtone. As he was removing the cover I asked if they had any notification on their trouble ticket that the customer used data services. The reply was no. He found that the pair connected to my house was on a node that was labeled 'do not use for data services'. Moving my pair eliminated the problem and my service was even better than before.
Remember, if your neighbors have a problem with their phone line and put in a call, your DSL may go to hell due to a serviceman blindly moving pairs at the neighborhood switch.
Hope this helps someone,