XP Updates

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
mspl

XP Updates

Post by mspl »

Microsoft has said they will update XP for couple more years, is it likely they will extend that further?
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

short answer...no and support I think ends next year as in patch update releases.
mspl

Post by mspl »

The service pack 3 or what ever it's called is at least to 2014 june if I remeber right.
mspl

Post by mspl »

I don't care about update drivers or what ever just online security would no support affect that? I noticed a lot of the updates are maleware related.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

You'll be seeing security updates into 2014. No new versions of IE...you're stuck at IE 8.0. But for those with SP3, you'll be getting security updates.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

With any luck they will extend more and work a SP4 out considering the amount of updates now out beyond SP3.
mspl

Post by mspl »

Sava700 wrote:With any luck they will extend more and work a SP4 out considering the amount of updates now out beyond SP3.
That's what I'm hoping there are a lot of people with XP and will be 2 and half years from now.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

It will officially stop being offered as a downgrade when Windows 8 comes out next fall. They only offer downgrades going back 2 versions of the OS...so when Windows 8 comes out, Windows 7 and Windows Vista will be the only downgrades available. I highly doubt there will be a 4th service pack for XP. Maybe another security rollup package..but that's about it.
Guinness for Strength!!!
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:It will officially stop being offered as a downgrade when Windows 8 comes out next fall. They only offer downgrades going back 2 versions of the OS...so when Windows 8 comes out, Windows 7 and Windows Vista will be the only downgrades available. I highly doubt there will be a 4th service pack for XP. Maybe another security rollup package..but that's about it.
Dell already stopped offering downgrade rights as far as I know business wise. We where kinda caught off guard getting some clients apps working with 7. We did the best we could scrambling for old XP keys from broken machines and peeling off the stickers :-P
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

YeOldeStonecat wrote: Maybe another security rollup package..but that's about it.
This would be ok but it is needed since I've counted well over 100 updates since SP3 was released.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Sava700 wrote:This would be ok but it is needed since I've counted well over 100 updates since SP3 was released.
Realize that many of those 100 updates are for separate products...thus a service pack or host OS won't help them.
Updates to .NET Frame
Updates to Internet Explorer
Updates to SilverLight
etc etc.
Guinness for Strength!!!
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:Realize that many of those 100 updates are for separate products...thus a service pack or host OS won't help them.
Updates to .NET Frame
Updates to Internet Explorer
Updates to SilverLight
etc etc.
I realize many are optional and so on...but a roll up for the OS would be nice even with a few extra's. But at this point I think the amount that are for the OS alone warrant something now or at least by mid next year.
mspl

Post by mspl »

Should I install those optional ones? I have several but did not bother to download looked like they were for things I don't use anyway.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

mspl wrote:Should I install those optional ones? I have several but did not bother to download looked like they were for things I don't use anyway.
Hard to answer without knowing which ones you're talking about...and if you even use the service that utilizes them. Example...if you see Framework 4.0 itself...and you don't run any applications that require/utilize that service...don't bother. But if you already have .NET Framework 4.0 installed, even if you don't use it, and there's an update for it...I'd put the update in.
Guinness for Strength!!!
mspl

Post by mspl »

Will MSE keep computer safe after XP updates end next year?
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

mspl wrote:Will MSE keep computer safe after XP updates end next year?
No antivirus is 100% effective. Even if you had the BEST antivirus on your computer (like Kaspersky or BitDefender or GData...those with above 99% detection rate)....you are still at risk...and your risk only increases if you fall behind with Windows updates, or...you fall behind in web player updates (java, flash, PDF reader, shockwave, quicktime, etc)...since those web players are what's being targeted.
Guinness for Strength!!!
mspl

Post by mspl »

I was thinking about trying Ubuntu, to see if I could get used to it before updates end.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Yeah lots of decent *nix distros. Some good "beginner" ones are MINT, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu,
A good website to check out a bunch
http://distrowatch.com/
Guinness for Strength!!!