Browsers

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Browsers

Post by Lurch »

Hi there,

I had been using Chrome for quite a while, then saw some info about DuckDuckGo (DDG) browser so I tried it for a few days, then when I couldn't use google search on Chrome or MSE, I got fed up with it and removed it. Then I was reading about Firefox (which I used for several years, many years ago) and how it has better privacy, so I got that and installed it, but when it came to re-entering passwords again, it seemed like maybe more bother than it was worth.

So today I'm using MS Edge, but I'll probably go back to Chrome, though maybe I'll be better off to use MSE. What's your take on this?
Chrome and MSE are faster than Brave (DDG) and Firefox and they both just seem better, even if the privacy isn't better.
They work and they don't crash. It seems like I used to crash with FF sometimes.

Thanks again to Philip for the help getting me logged in here again.
If I posted this on the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

L
Lurch
Advanced Member

Re: Browsers

Post by Lurch »

I'm logged in with FF now.
Would it be worth running FF instead of Chrome?
I like the way MSE runs, but I don't like their home page.
It seems good so far to be running FF.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Firefox is fine if you like it, most of the main browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox) are good. "Brave" is also an option.
I don't like the Edge bloated home page and settings either, but you can turn all that off in the settings and change your home/new tab page to some simpler search engine.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I'm perfectly content with Chrome. I've tried everything you've mentioned except FF and Edge. You mentioned that "I Couldn't use google search on Chrome". That just doesn't sound right. I think it's actually the default search engine for Chrome.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Easto wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:27 am
I'm perfectly content with Chrome. I've tried everything you've mentioned except FF and Edge. You mentioned that "I Couldn't use google search on Chrome". That just doesn't sound right. I think it's actually the default search engine for Chrome.
It was probably because DDG Brave changed my default setting to their DDG search engine.
I went into Chrome setting to change the default to Google.
I only wanted to do that to leave a review on Google, but now that it's done, I may stick with FF or Brave.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

FF has a nice punctuation editor add on.
It's different, plus I like the privacy.

I've had a habit of leaving a negative review when I had hard feelings about a local business, but that only seems to help for a short time, and at times I would have been better off to not leave any review at all.

I got frustrated when Brave seemed to make it impossible for me to use Google search at all.
Maybe it doesn't but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll like FF better.
Glad to be logged in again here, and thanks again.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Philip wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:53 am
Firefox is fine if you like it, most of the main browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox) are good. "Brave" is also an option.
I don't like the Edge bloated home page and settings either, but you can turn all that off in the settings and change your home/new tab page to some simpler search engine.
Good point. I'll have to get into the MSE settings and have a look around.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

FF is a slight bit slower than Chrome and MSE, but I'm OK with that.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Lurch wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 10:10 am
FF has a nice punctuation editor add on.
It's different, plus I like the privacy.

I've had a habit of leaving a negative review when I had hard feelings about a local business, but that only seems to help for a short time, and at times I would have been better off to not leave any review at all.
I know what you mean. I actually deleted my Yelp account about 6 months ago. I figure... who really cares? So much of those or any reviews are probably sketchy at best. Like you said, they make you feel good for a minute but after that... who really cares?
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Easto wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:10 pm

I know what you mean. I actually deleted my Yelp account about 6 months ago. I figure... who really cares? So much of those or any reviews are probably sketchy at best. Like you said, they make you feel good for a minute but after that... who really cares?
True. And if you feel different about it down the road, and you decide to go back there again, it makes you look like a hypocrite, lol.
One chiropractor I left a negative review for, called me in to his office and actually didn't want to treat me any more, but forgave me later on. Another place, a bike shop, complained to me after I left them a (deserved) negative review, so I edited it to give them more stars and changed the text, and they still didn't seem to appreciate it. Some places really seem to need reviews, if they mistreated you in a big way. A few of the reviews I've left online, and I plan to leave them there always. But others, I've deleted and just decided to let it go and forgive them.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I went back to the DDG browser. It works nicely and it's a bit faster than FF.
I even seem to like the DDG search engine fairly well.

How about a bowl of grass fed beef soup with low carb vegetables?
I take lots of pics of my keto meals and post them on facebook.
Any interest in posting pics of our meals in the photo section here?

Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Soup looks really good! :thumb:
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I removed Fireproofing for this site on my DDG browser.
Is that OK?

I like the DDG browser quite well.
It does pick up a little SPAM email on my Gmail folder, but I can use FF to do my Gmail.
FF has some hesitation I'm not too fond of.
I guess I can keep 4 browsers on my PC without any problems.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I have 4+ browsers installed on mine just for testing stuff, but I don't use them regularly. They don't take much space, so it is fine to leave them on your PC unless you need storage space.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

One thing I don't like about the DDG browser is that it gets advertisement videos before youtube videos like I get on my WiFi TV.
I'm not sure if there's a setting I can change to stop that, but on Chrome or FF, it doesn't happen.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Here's something I like about FF, its home page.
I found this article there, the "batagaika-crater-gateway-to-hell" which is quite interesting.
+1 for FF.
It comes from the Popular Science magazine website.
PS was once a very interesting magazine, which is probably now more popular as a website.

https://www.popsci.com/science/batagaik ... y-to-hell/