ubuntu wifi

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
mspl

ubuntu wifi

Post by mspl »

Is it just me or does ubuntu always need much stronger signal than windows?
TonyT
SG VIP

Post by TonyT »

Need a stronger signal to do what?
No one has any right to force data on you
and command you to believe it or else.
If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH
mspl

Post by mspl »

To get online.
mspl

Post by mspl »

I am using it off live CD not installed if that affects it.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

The choice of operating system should not need anything different...as far as range/signal strength.
However...the drivers for the particular wifi chipset may different enough to show an impact. Doing a full install and getting the latest drivers from the repository may help.
Also remember that performance when booting off of a live CD is always slower.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
mspl

Post by mspl »

Going to try Zorin, based on Ubuntu so I assume will be same driver if I like it will install.
TonyT
SG VIP

Post by TonyT »

Wifi in Linux has come a long way in the last few years. Was a time when one had to download drivers and then manually patch, build & install them. Some wifi chipsets still don't have really good Linux drivers available. Atheros and Realtek chipsets seem to be the best.

Also, realize that signal reporting is not always accurate in ANY operating system.
No one has any right to force data on you
and command you to believe it or else.
If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH
mspl

Post by mspl »

TonyT wrote:Wifi in Linux has come a long way in the last few years. Was a time when one had to download drivers and then manually patch, build & install them. Some wifi chipsets still don't have really good Linux drivers available. Atheros and Realtek chipsets seem to be the best.

Also, realize that signal reporting is not always accurate in ANY operating system.
I was going by performance not gauges, last couple of times I used Ubuntu was a lot better and every time I use Zorin is very good seems same as windows. Will have Zorin on hard drive soon I assume then can update and can also use my netzero 4G stick, I noticed it said 3G device in mobile wifi manager figured 4 wasn't supported on DVD.