Defraggler, lost HD space

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Defraggler, lost HD space

Post by Lurch »

Hi,

I defragged both hard drives today in my Win 7 Dell PC, with Defraggler. One drive, "C", the main OS drive, I got 5 or 10 GB more after defragging but the spare drive I lost space. They are both 80 GB HDs. I recently reduced many photo files by resizing them, and was expecting to gain space after defrag, not lose space.

Any ideas on why this happened and what I can do to regain space?

Thank you.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Defragging does not create/free/delete any free space. A byproduct of the defrag might have been purchasing of some VSS snapshots that may have been corrupted, and your OS discarded them. Not sure about the second partition...perhaps defragging changes files enough to kick in some more VSS snapshots.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Hi,

Do you think Windows Defrag is better to use than Defraggler?

After I did this I downloaded a Duplicate File Finder and ran it and recovered over 1 GB in the spare drive. I had about 1990 duplicates.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

I think as a defrag program, defraggler is probably better than the native one as far as doing a good job on a severely fragmented HDD. However....manual defrag is not as important as it was back in the pre Windows XP days. It was important in the Win9X days, in the days of FAT file systems. It's less important on NTFS file systems. It became less important starting with Windows XP and how it self maintained itself. Even less important with vista, even less important with Win7...as it auto defrags during hours of non use.
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I'm running Win 7 and I don't think I've ever defragged my HDD
CableDude
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

Easto wrote:I'm running Win 7 and I don't think I've ever defragged my HDD
Took me about 12 hours on Christmas day. :eek:
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

On older systems than XP, I used to end up with 0 fragmented files after a defrag but now I don't seem to. I end up with many fragmented files.

I reclaimed the spare HD space. After defragging "D" yesterday, I lost space and wound up with only 34.9 GB free of 149 GB. I only had less than 16 GB of files on there, so how it turned into over 100 GB is beyond me.
So, I put it all on my 16 GB flash drive and then formatted "D", then I had 148 of 149 GB free. I moved the 9.86 GB of files back onto "D", and now I have 135 GB free of 149 GB.

What happened to "D" and is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? I knew I couldn't have actually used up 100 GB of space. I only take a few pics nowadays.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

I'm at a loss...only thing I can think of Shadow Copy files (previous versions) are coming into play.
Guinness for Strength!!!
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=31045

Post #4, Scat is right, shadow copy is the culprit.