cable modem power

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
lmf22

cable modem power

Post by lmf22 »

I'm getting AT&T @Home this Friday.
Should I keep the modem on or turn it on when I use it?

Will there be high security risks if I leave my modem on?
glc1

Post by glc1 »

Leave ur modem on. If ur worried about security, get some firewall software. At the very least, make sure File & Printer Sharing is not binded to ur cable modem NIC.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-04-2000).]
Merc

Post by Merc »

I never turn off my modem except when my computer and modem got fried that wasnt funny at all though/ I am still on my dads big 133mhz with a new cable modem
glc1

Post by glc1 »

How did u manage to fry ur comp?

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-04-2000).]
Mighty Favog

Post by Mighty Favog »

If your modem has a power switch on the front of the case, it most likely does not really turn off the modem. It will just kill the LEDs and the connection between the modem and the computer. This provides security while leaving the modem registered. This is true for the RCA, it is likely true for other brands.
Cable Guy

Post by Cable Guy »

DONT TURN IT OFF!

------------------
Its the cable guy!
*Biohazard*

Post by *Biohazard* »

Originally posted by Merc:
I am still on my dads big 133mhz with a new cable modem
how can a 133mhz be big?? Unless there was a pun in that statement..