Water Filters

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Water Filters

Post by Lurch »

What do y'all use for water filters? Years ago I bought water from a vending machine at Kroger's, in 3 and 5 gallon jugs. That's kind of a lot of work bc water is heavy. Then years ago I bought an RO system for my kitchen sink, that filters up to about 98% of TDS, but TDS means the water has been stripped of valuable minerals. 2 of my RO filters need replacing now, but I believe my days of drinking RO water are over. I'd add 1/2 tsp of real salt per gallon of RO water, along with a pinch of baking soda to improve the pH, since RO water is acidic, but Real salt can't put back what RO removes.
I've used RO in my kitchen for years, but decided to go back to filtered tap water, because it contains valuable minerals that RO removes.
According to Larry Wilson MD, even filters like Pur and Brita do a good enough job of removing most contaminants.
He has a unique opinion on many things, and I've taken his advice many times over the years.

I was looking at gravity water filters on amazon, there are now many Berkey knock offs, for about $100 on amazon.
They do a good job of filtering water, as long as the filters are replaced at recommended intervals.
With better hydration you get better health, better elimination and better overall balance of minerals and electrolytes.
I think I'm going back to carbon water filters. They've come a long way over the years, and they do a great job if the filters are replaced at recommended intervals. Some people also recommend rotating 1 gallon plastic jugs of water such as Crystal Geyser or having it delivered to your residence or business in 3 or 5 gallon jugs. I want to get away from handling 5 gallon water jugs.

:thumb: :nod:

https://www.drlwilson.com/articles/water.HTM
Last edited by Lurch on Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Easto
SG Elite

Re: Water Filters

Post by Easto »

I don't use any filtering at all. Straight from the tap. The water in my area tastes pretty good and I've never felt the urge or need to move to any filtering system and/or bottled water.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Easto wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:13 am
I don't use any filtering at all. Straight from the tap. The water in my area tastes pretty good and I've never felt the urge or need to move to any filtering system and/or bottled water.
You're lucky if you happen to have safe tap water.
That seems to be a rarity these days.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Water down in FL is pretty hard, I do use a whole house water softener. It reduces the TDS and makes water softer. It does help reduce carbon build up on faucets/showers, etc., but it wouldn't remove any dissolved chemicals. I would just look up the quality of tap water in your area, it is usually a published annual bulletin and you can base your decision on whether it is safe/good to dink off of that.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Philip wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:53 pm
Water down in FL is pretty hard, I do use a whole house water softener. It reduces the TDS and makes water softer. It does help reduce carbon build up on faucets/showers, etc., but it wouldn't remove any dissolved chemicals. I would just look up the quality of tap water in your area, it is usually a published annual bulletin and you can base your decision on whether it is safe/good to dink off of that.
Hi Philip, My tap water here is about 75 PPM TDS right now. I measure it to determine how efficient my RO membrane and pre and post filters are working. After filtering, my RO water is only about 4 ppm. Then I was adding 1/2 tsp of Real salt, and a pinch of baking soda to take the edge off the acidity of the RO water. The added salts will increase the TDS up to about 100 ppm or so. So TDS doesn't mean poor quality water, it can also mean good minerals are in the water.

I bought a simple Brita Elite water filter. The ppm is about the same after filtering my tap water.

I'm using my Prill beads in water again, it raises the pH and adds magnesium, and makes water thinner.

Joe
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

The "Zero" water filters pitcher are similar to RO water because they reduce the TDS down to negligible levels.
I think it's better to keep the minerals and filter out the bad things like heavy metals, etc.
Brita doesn't remove fluoride, but I think Prill water contains something like 31% less fluoride.
Some people actually say fluoride isn't a bad thing for us, at least in our drinking water.
It's quite controversial. I've used fluoride toothpaste off and on for decades.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

We are lucky to live in an area with deep aquifers with plenty of cool, clean water. It is hard however so I use a 5 micron, whole house filter for all water and the hot water has a softener. Since I have been filtering out iron and other large particles, the faucets and plumbing is noticeably cleaner and lasts longer. We don't want to use any fancy filters as we like the taste (or lack thereof) of our water.

City water on the other hand is rather nasty especially if you have been on a deep, artesian well. I can't even stand coffee made at my Sister's house.