Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Nemesis Analysis (SPOILERS OF THE MOVIE INSIDE)

Star Trek: Nemesis Analysis (SPOILERS OF THE MOVIE INSIDE)

Only Read Below if you don't mind seeing spoilers, or have already seen the movie. I warn you now. If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled don't read any further.

Ok, here is my take on the movie

Overall Impression: Good

Not Great, Not Awesome, just, Good

I was let down in a few respects

Now, there were some VERY AWESOME SCENES FOR SURE, notably:

When Picard ordered All Hands to Battle Stations and watching the crew and the ship prepare for battle, it all seemd VERY star trek'ish, reminded me of the old series, TOS. It made me feel good, the way they sequenced that was familiar to the Original Movies.

The scene where the Enterprise and the Scimitar were face and face in the nebula, just waiting there, while the Scimitar was charging its main weapon, THAT was SOOOOOOO Wrath of Khan!!!! Totally awesome.

At the end when the Enterprise was in dock being repaired, again that scene, with the music, made it feel VERY TOS Movie'ish.

There were some other moments where it felt very TOS Movie'ish and IMO I loved that a lot.

Now, the parts I didn't like:

The part where Troi was getting inside that Remens Head and using Worfs hand to punch in the codes, that was LAME. Like a 'Oiuja' board kinda seen, that was lame.

But when her eyes turned black and she got her payback, that was sweet.

The movie was WAY TO DAMNED SHORT

Everything happened WAY TO DAMNED FAST

I wanted a longer lead in time, they should have done more in Alaska, Deanna's mother should have been there, we should have heard more from Guinann. We should have been introduced to the crew more. I felt through the whole movie it was all Picard and Data and Riker and Deanna as a sideline. I think more emphasis should have been placed on the rest of the crew as well. They all needed more time on screen.

If this is truely the last movie with the TNG crew I wanted to see where they are going from here, where is Picard going, where is Crusher going, how about Geordi, Worf etc......

All the sudden they were on earth, then on the way to their wedding, then finding an android on some planet, just happened way to fast.

They shoulda spent more time on certain things.

Then at the end they should have had a funeral for Data and spent more time with it. All the sudden he's gone, they are morning for a short bit, then just back at earth like nothing happened.

Ended to fast

Like I said, overall it was good, boardering on great, some great moments for sure, the enterprise ramming the other ship, the bridge screen getting blown out etc...

but it could use improvement, and COULD have been Awesome if more time and money were spent into really developing it.

It could have done very well as a 3 hour movie

thoughts?
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Certified SG Addict
    As for "what comes after" for Worf, he is actually a Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire. He was appointed to the position in the final episode of DS9.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!Data is dead??? why??? how???OMG!!! how??? thats sux!!!!OMG!!!

Certified SG Addict
    There were several things that could be considered "lame," but the most egregious was the use of Worf as a comic foil. It was sad, since I think Worf became one of the strongest characters after he arrived on DS9. I thought the creditless opening and the assassination of the ENTIRE Romulan Senate was a really dramatic way to open the movie, but it did sputter-and-start in a few spots.

According to interviews with the production team, there were several cameos that were cut out of the wedding reception scene, including the re-appearance of the much-maligned Wesley Crusher; I'm not sure how they'd (or if they would at all) explain him taking time off from stomping around the universe with the Traveler, but oh well. I think the exclusion of Lwaxana Troi was just because the actual marriage ceremony was going to be on Betazed, so they'd see her then. But we never got to see Troi naked for her wedding!

The Troi mind-control thing was pretty goofy; yes, they needed a more Spock-like send-off for Data; Geordi, Crusher and Worf got too little screen time; for a clone, Shinzon didn't resemble Picard much at all (to be expected, I guess) and the movie was indeed too short. However, most of the Trek movies have only lasted around and hour and fifty minutes anyway.

"Nemesis" was a quantum-leap from "Insurrection" though, and was well worth my money. I think they'll have a tough time ever getting to the level of "The Wrath of Khan" or "First Contact" again, but if the movie makes 30 or more million this weekend they'll do one more. I hope Q shows up in it if so...

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by OxBlooD
    WTF!!!!!!!!!!Data is dead??? why??? how???OMG!!! how??? thats sux!!!!OMG!!!
    Well, not exactly...

Originally posted by Burke
    Well, not exactly...
    Not exactly what??...I wanna know

Originally posted by OxBlooD
    Not exactly what??...I wanna know
    B4 has all Data's memories

BUT his positronic net is inferior to data's, he was a prototype, he will never be data

he will be B4, his own person, just with the memories of Data

heh

Certified SG Addict
    But now my favorite TNG episode is on TNN right now!

"Chain of Command, Part 2"
    Last edited by Brk; 12-13-02 at 09:05 PM.

I will read this thread after I see the movie. I'm off now.

Don't get me wrong though, I did enjoy it for sure

and I will definitely see it again, and definitely get the DVD

As some of you may know, I enjoy Star Trek and have a fine collection of TNG as well as the original episodes but I was very disappointed with this film. The story lines directive seemed interesting to say the least but the end product was very substandard for the silver screen.

Worf was under utilized and the scripts take on Captain Picards delayed reaction at the end, when only a minute remained was utterly ridiculous.

What I did enjoy was some of the strategy in battle; very nice.

PS. Data is dead.

I will not see it again on the silver screen but will by the DVD.

6.5 out of 10

Wrath of Khan is still #1 in my books
    got old

son of a....Iam going to see this in 2 hours and i saw this thread, didnt want to read it but had to look, once i was in i decided not to read and as i went to leave i say

WHAT DATA IS DEAD!!!!

DAMMIT!!....o well maybe something will suprise me
    Check out the Picks from TPL Here
    For Free Image Hosting check out Blynk.net
    Just click on add photos and your done

Originally posted by Zmoney
    son of a....Iam going to see this in 2 hours and i saw this thread, didnt want to read it but had to look, once i was in i decided not to read and as i went to leave i say

WHAT DATA IS DEAD!!!!

DAMMIT!!....o well maybe something will suprise me
    Yes, Data is dead and they didn't even spend any time what-so-ever on a funneral for him...

that IMO was not good

I wanted to see a send off like they did in ST II with spock...

Apparently several scenes were cut from the Movie

Here is one that I think would be important and I see NO reason why they would have removed it

http://www.trekbbs.com/ubb/Forum31/HTML/001485.html

I hope the DVD contains EVERYTHING, i want no cuts, i want to see everything they filmed as one movie, period

Certified SG Addict
    The unfortunate fact is that they hone things down to make it more palatable to a more general audience and excise a lot of the scenes that would give the movie better overall cohesion. A three-hour movie like you suggested would be great for die-hard Trek fans, but it would alienate most people. Feature films are about making money, after all...which stinks for the fans in most cases.

A good example is the version of "Dune" that ran on the SciFi Channel. I understood a great deal more of the movie once I saw the additional scenes left in, and thusly I enjoyed it even more.

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896
    ****ING A THEY KILLED DATA.

That was my response to the movie.

It was ok-- Though I would have liked more exterior shots of the 'bad' ship (I have a TERRIBLE short-term memory).

And WTF was with the lag on the forcefield when the bridge blew out?! Took way too long.
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!

Originally posted by Qwijib0
    ****ING A THEY KILLED DATA.

That was my response to the movie.

It was ok-- Though I would have liked more exterior shots of the 'bad' ship (I have a TERRIBLE short-term memory).

And WTF was with the lag on the forcefield when the bridge blew out?! Took way too long.
    Here, i asked for you: http://www.trekbbs.com/ubb/Forum31/HTML/001520.html

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by Brent
    Here, i asked for you: http://www.trekbbs.com/ubb/Forum31/HTML/001520.html
    I am embarrassed by your geekosity.

Certified SG Addict
    According to the link below, Stuart Baird says the DVD will feature many of the deleted scenes:

http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/200...039702912.html

Brent, check your SG email. I sent you a response from my cell phone after I saw it.

I liked it. It did not have the usual "feel" of TNG. I found this from an article I read....

"The story is a dark story, so I wanted to give this movie a feel of threat and doom,
    That's exactly how I felt about the movie. Describes the feel perfectly. I was disappointed that they didn't spend more time after Data died. It was like one minute of remembrance and then that was it.

I get the fel that if there is a next movie they will include B4. I thought it was clever how they kinda hinted at how B4 had all of Data's memories and could possibly become the "new" data.

They could have spent more time on things but, in my oppinion I think this might have been the best TNG movie. I would like to see one with the Borge and maybe Q though.