Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What router

deleted_acct

What router

Ok im Using a friends router right now and its a linksys befsr41 model router. I have my pc and my xbox hooked up to it and im gonna probley hook my laptop up to it i need a suggestion of a good router im gonna get one for x-mas not sure which one to get. I want a good quality one.

have any issues with your linksys? If not, why not get the same one! I have the linksys aswell and it has been giong strong for close to a year now!

YiKeS

Yikes hit it on De head

For the price you cant beat a linksys router
    Cancer Baaaaaad! Folding Goooood!

Smyrna, Delaware Car: 1998 Honda Accord EX Occupation: Honda Service Coordinator
    I also have the same router and I have been more then pleased with it. Best money I have spent in a long time for a good piece of hardware.

Go with it ... you will be happy.
    Antec Nine Hundred case, 4GB A-Data DDR2 800 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz, ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP MB, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 video card, ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD, Aerocool FP-01 Multifunction panel w/card reader, Zerodba 620W PSU, LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD with LightScribe SATA, Samsung CDDVDW SH-S203B SATA, Acer P241W 24" w/s monitor, Canon CanoScan LiDE 35 scanner, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The Linksys routers have matured into quite the potent little router, probably my pick for the best entry level router.

Nexland ISB SOHO routers are a little more pricey, but are faster for gaming. Just as easy to use as the Linksys.

Linksys also just came out with a router with a stronger firewall, the BEFSX41..only about 5 bucks more than the standard BEFSR41.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    anyone tried the linksys' wireless router? been looking into it... but I want some personal experiences.. that is all..

YeOs;

what about the Netgears you've been recommending over the Linkys?

deleted_acct
    You said the nexland would be faster with gaming how does it make a difference will its x-mas and im getting the fastest **** out there. So im gonna get a nexland which model? I want the fastest ****.Im a picky somebody when it comes to my internet i dont wont it probleys in it i like it fast smooth and lag free.

deleted_acct
    So is the nexland the fastest i can buy for home use?

if u want the fastest "****" then u might wanna go for Nexland pro400/800 (forgot what the model was called)

or

a netopia one..

I'm not sure.. ask Cat, hes super-router-man.

All Ur Base R Belong 2 Us Christopher561's Avatar
    i like the belkin 4 port router its nice make shure that you have the lynksys on a surge protector cuz mine blew out on me a couple of months ago.
    Originally posted by Christopher561
    DoNT MESs wItH ME!!
    SG RocKS! :2cool:
    Dude thE DiScriPtion of this SmiLy is rolling on ThE FlooR.

Originally posted by Immortal
    anyone tried the linksys' wireless router? been looking into it... but I want some personal experiences.. that is all..
    Yes, I've setup a few....it works quite well, and easy to setup.

I like Microsofts MN500 wireless broadband router the best....outperforms the Linksys and Netgears from my impromptu tests at the office. I walked all the way to the edge of our parking lot and was still surfing. On bandwidth measuring sites, it outperformed them also.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/br...sestation.aspx
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by Chillinhh
    So is the nexland the fastest i can buy for home use?
    No, but in the hundred dollar category it is. If you want the fastest, you'll have to spend quite a bit more money, like a Sonicwall SOHO3, or a Netopia, or a Cisco.

The ISB SOHO has quite a bit of nut, faster than Linksys or Netgear. Check out Nexland.com They're a bit over a hundred bucks. The Pro models are also great...but more $$$. I run the Symantec 200r at the office, which is a special version of the Nexland Pro 800 Turbo. Friggin FAAAAAST on a 6 meg DSL pipe!

The fastest router I've had at the house was a Netopia R910. I'm currently using a Nexland ISB SOHO, have been for the past, almost 2 years. Just a note though...I've read some peeps having problems on certain cable setups with the Nexland routers.

For the entry level routers, under a hundred bucks, I like Linksys, and used to like Netgear. Netgears are a bit faster, and more stable, but they're support was brutal, and as a reseller, I expect a much higher level of support, like Linksys and 3COM give me. Although yesterday I had a voicemail from the regional sales rep from Netgear saying he wanted to give us a special reseller package...so guess they miss our business. I may go back to them.

I don't like any other brands in the entry level home market.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

i love my nexland ISB SOHO, and for home use its fast enough!

thanx stoney.. catey... stoneycats... heh

thanx stoney.. catey... stoneycats... heh

Buuuurrrpp

Ackkkkk

Thpppttttt
    Guinness for Strength!!!

deleted_acct
    Ok i Really appreciate all of your time and I dont have a t3 line or anything like that in my house so i dont think i need a pro version so im probley gonna go with the Nexland isb soho. Whats the differences between that and the linksys? and is there any difference in bandwitch tests?

Originally posted by Chillinhh
    Whats the differences between that and the linksys? and is there any difference in bandwitch tests?
    Yeah the Nexland is a bit faster, has 8 megs bi-directional throughput, whereas the Linksys has around 4. Doesn't matter much when your broadband is 1.5 at best, but I've had a Linksys and Netgear also, and the Nexland does ping lower in online games.

Nexland is slow to adopt firmware that support UPnP, which will be important soon, such as using XP Windows Messenger right now, I'm not sure if Nexland will come out with it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Stay away, far away,

If I moved more then 5 feet, I went from 6-7 mbps, to about 1-2 mbps, horrible perfomance.

I have been getting top perfroamnce from my Netgear WAP

Have not tried Microsoft, so cant compare, just dont want Microsoft to have anymore of my money, they have enough..lol

I also have the Nexland ISB Soho as my regular cable router, and it works flawalessly once I got past some configuration issues.

Originally posted by davy19
    Stay away, far away,

If I moved more then 5 feet, I went from 6-7 mbps, to about 1-2 mbps, horrible perfomance.

I have been getting top perfroamnce from my Netgear WAP

Have not tried Microsoft, so cant compare, just dont want Microsoft to have anymore of my money, they have enough..lol

I also have the Nexland ISB Soho as my regular cable router, and it works flawalessly once I got past some configuration issues.

grrr... now I don't feel like getting a wireless no more... dangit..

catey... oldey.. sonteyold cate... heh.. stonecat.. if I have a wireless router in my basement.. can I reach it if I'm in the 2nd floor of the house?... I think it's possible... but jsut wanna make sure...