Thread: Battlefield 1942

Battlefield 1942

Worth buying? or no?

Is it as addicting as quake3 and rogue spear or should I pass it up?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Takes a little while to get into it...but once you do, it's VERY addictive online.

The ability to hop into different vehicles..IE Jeeps, Half Tracks, Tanks, Airplanes, Boats, Artillery, Anti-Aircraft batteries. It's very cool.

Many many servers online to choose from....I like picking servers that have a half dozen to a dozen players....the servers with less peeps can be boring, and the servers that are near capacity..such as 20 or 30 or more players...too much disorganized mayhem.

It's somewhat like RTCW...where the secret to success is having your "side" play as an organized team...meaning people have to choose and properly play different roles....assault, engineer (mines), medic (to heal wounded), engineer (fix equipment), scout (sniper), anti-tank (bazooka) etc. But it ends up being everyone chooses what they want to play, not what the team needs. And you have to work together as units.

Cons:

So varied, and so many people playing online disorganized...it can be frustrating to learn.

The load times can be painfully long between levels.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Takes a little while to get into it...but once you do, it's VERY addictive online.

The ability to hop into different vehicles..IE Jeeps, Half Tracks, Tanks, Airplanes, Boats, Artillery, Anti-Aircraft batteries. It's very cool.

Many many servers online to choose from....I like picking servers that have a half dozen to a dozen players....the servers with less peeps can be boring, and the servers that are near capacity..such as 20 or 30 or more players...too much disorganized mayhem.

It's somewhat like RTCW...where the secret to success is having your "side" play as an organized team...meaning people have to choose and properly play different roles....assault, engineer (mines), medic (to heal wounded), engineer (fix equipment), scout (sniper), anti-tank (bazooka) etc. But it ends up being everyone chooses what they want to play, not what the team needs. And you have to work together as units.

Cons:

So varied, and so many people playing online disorganized...it can be frustrating to learn.

The load times can be painfully long between levels.
    I'll second that with about everything you say. But it's worth grabbing definitely!! I'm very addicted to this game, I just about play it every single night or basically whenever I'm on the pc.

Since this patch came out, (v1.2) it seems like the load times are faster for me. It's only been taking me 10-15 secs to load up now.

I bought it when it frist came out, but was very buggy, where I enjoyed the idea behind it, but not worth playing, I am thinking of trying it again with patch 1.2

Give it a try davy, it's much improved with the v1.2 patch.

Home of the SEC and Sugar Bowl Champions!
    the map loading times are not long...takes about 15 seconds or so between maps...the 1.2 patch is much better. made loading a lot faster

hmmm I got the game this morning and installed it... but when it tries to loads levels it just freezes...the bar doesnt even move =/ please help!

-- Win XP Pro/Athlong 1.3/640mb pc2100/64mb Geforce2

Talking

... and thanks for the reviews!!!

Originally posted by compkid87
    hmmm I got the game this morning and installed it... but when it tries to loads levels it just freezes...the bar doesnt even move =/ please help!

-- Win XP Pro/Athlong 1.3/640mb pc2100/64mb Geforce2
    newest patch? new sound drivers, vid drivers?

Geforce 2

Is not supported.....or at least I am pretty sure. A friend that had a Geforce 2 MX had to upgrade his vid card to play the game.

thanks for help, but im still having probs...

I installed the 1.2 patch, but now every time i try to load a level it takes 5 minutes to go 1/10 of the way, then it just freezes. I've tried several levels, all with same result

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by Docsta
    the map loading times are not long...takes about 15 seconds or so between maps...the 1.2 patch is much better. made loading a lot faster
    Exactly...15 seconds..that's pretty long when you're used to playing Q3 or UT and having instant changes. It's realistically longer when you're playing online, and the server does total level changes, not just reloading the same map.

Compkid87...what are your hardware specs? Do you have the latest Direct X? Latest sound and video drivers?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Exactly...15 seconds..that's pretty long when you're used to playing Q3 or UT and having instant changes. It's realistically longer when you're playing online, and the server does total level changes, not just reloading the same map.

ya gotta remember one thing stone. this isnt UT or Quake 3. The maps are much larger and a lot more intense. Its gotta load a helluva lot more shiat than Ut or Q3.

i may have to pick this up

Folding Thunder
    it's even more awsome with the patch! w00t!

I installed the patch 1.2, and here are my specs:

-XP Pro (built in directx 8)
    -Athlon 1.3
    -640mb pc2100 DDR
    -64mb Geforce 2 MX (I recently rolled back driver because it messed some other games up, but i'll upgrade it again and see if it doesnt freeze)

YES!!!

I uninstalled the vid drivers and upgraded, now it works and loads in 10-20 seconds thx for help

That's great news Compkid! Glad you got it working! See you on the battlefield.