Thread: Processor upgrade question

Question Processor upgrade question

Hey, i have a secondary comp that i use from time to time, it has a 900mhz Athlon and a KT7-RAID mobo, so i can't drop in an XP processor, unfortunately. i was wondering what the performance increase would be if i went to a 1.3ghz Duron. Also, i've never used a duron, what are the downside? Thanks!
    -MSI K7T266-Pro2RU; Athlon XP 1600+; 512Mb DDR2100; Abit GeForce4 Ti4200-8x; 2-60 Gig IBM in RAID 0, 80 Gig WD
    -Abit KT7; 900MHz Athlon; 256 megs; Janton TNT2; 20Gig and 15 Gig HDs

Enlighten me...if it is a decent Socket A motherboard, why would it not work with Athlon XPs after a BIOS flash? I'm pretty sure it should work, at least with the lower end AXPs, which would still be better than a Duron 1.3GHz.
    -Mad_Pyro

nope, if its a KT7a mobo, it needs to be a revision 1.3 to be able to run XPs..

i guess abit wasnt expecting anything new when they made it.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Weapons of Ass Destruction"

Yeah, it's a KT7, not even the KT7A, i looked up the bios, and the updates don't help out. as far as i know, the best i can do is the Duron 1.3 or the Athlon 1.1, each is like $40ish. i don't know if it's worth it.

Originally posted by ViperX2099
    Yeah, it's a KT7, not even the KT7A, i looked up the bios, and the updates don't help out. as far as i know, the best i can do is the Duron 1.3 or the Athlon 1.1, each is like $40ish. i don't know if it's worth it.

not worth it man..

if you want, scrounge up about 100 bucks or so, then get a refurb mobo from newegg, and get an athlon xp 1600..

and an extra 100 bucks gets ya some good ram
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Weapons of Ass Destruction"

Thanks Mehmet, funny u should mention the 1600+, that's what i got in my main computer in another 6 months or so, i'll probably upgrade this one and put the spare parts in my old comp.

that sounds like the best way to go
    XP 1600+ @1606 Mhz, GIGABYTE Mobo WD 60GB 8MBc, 512 MB pc 2100 DDR, GF 2 Ultra, Win XP Pro, CDRWx40

War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things: The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings, which thinks nothing (is) worth a war, is worse.

-John Stuart Mill “The Contest in America”