Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Icon question

Desktop Icon question

if i want to remove the Recycle Bin, Internet Explorer, My Computer, and My Network Place icons from the desktop and put them into the start menu instead where can i find the .exe files for those? cause when i add it to start its gonna want to know where the .exe file is.

All the .exe files are under C:\Program Files\Name of the program.

well i found that i can just drag and drop a copy of it into the start menu. but now i have another problem. when i right click on those icons, there is no option to delete. so how do i get rid of them?

well using winguides tweak manager ive been able to remove all but recycle bin. i used the tweak that should have allowed me to delete recycle bin but it still wont display 'delete'.

P.S. the reason i want them off is cause i have a cool Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers wallpaper on hehe

You can easily remove any icon you please with a check of a box in X-Setup.

eek! steele when i goto windows explorer the C: drive is no longer displayed! what happened to it? how do i get it back?
    i have x setup and clicked the box to show delete only and it still wont show up. what am i doing wrong?

What did you do? Undo the tweak you did.

i removed the my computer, my network connections, and internet explorer icons from the desktop. why would that make C: drive disappear in windows explorer? i have a copy of those in start menu. when i double click my computer it shows C:. why wont it show up when i click windows explorer?

How did you remove them? I know by removing certain icons it can cause problems.

Talking

whew i fixed it. i used winguides tweak manager and clicked "Remove My Computer from desktop and start menu". then i right clicked the icon and deleted it. now i went back into winguides and unchecked that box. now My Computer is back in windows explorer. hehe geez what a hassle for removing icons lol. but still wont let me delete Recycle Bin from desktop. i used the remove recycle bin tweak in both x-setup and winguides and theres still no delete option. lol

hey steele are there any tweaks in x-setup that you suggest i should do??

All of them. The best advice I can give you is update it and take the time to sit down and go through the tweaks, I know it is time consuming but you will learn allot and optimize your system.

Cool

Do a search on the Web for Desksweeper. It's a small utility that will hide/unhide the icons on your desktop with a single mouse click. That way you'll get to see all of that beautiful wallpaper you have there. And best of all it's free. Good Luck!
    Even The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men Sometimes Go Astray!

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    Icons on your desktop use resourses, so

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves

Cool

What resources? This utility has little or no effect on resources and it gets the job done without going through a lot of changes. I've used it for over two years on new and old computers with no consequences whatsoever.

I said that desktop icons use resources, icons next to clock use resources too, but don't know which uses the most

Smile

Sorry about that Lobo. Misunderstood what you were saying.

It's cool matey

Originally posted by Lobo
    I said that desktop icons use resources, icons next to clock use resources too, but don't know which uses the most
    Icons use resources? What? You can adjust your icon cache to speed up the display of your icons..... but icons use resources?