Thread: ActiveX problem

ActiveX problem

The old guy across the street had his grandson over the other day. The kid hit a few websites and obviously downloaded a bad flash or activeX agent. Now the computer is hosed.

When you click on the start button... it doesn't do anything. When you go to IE (only works in safe mode) and go to Tools> Internet Options> Advanced... the advanced window is blank. There is no option to reset the settings.

I tried to repair IE and it said it did... but Advanced is still blank. Desktop looks different now and clicking on My Computer answers with a ActiveX permissions denial.

Any suggestions?

Post his OS Doc, that may help someone with a solution.

Sorry Norm. He has ME

YIKES!!

Something he could try..

Start>Run> scanreg /restore

And choose a registry dated the day before (or earlier) the day the grandson came over.

ME also has the system restore if it hasn't been disabled.
    It may even be a virus.

Start doesn't work (you hit it with the mouse and it depresses... but stays in the "stuck down" position).

Could be a virus for all I know. I see the virus program is still running (AV) but not sure when it was last updated.

Doc, Im not sure this will work, since WinME is a bit different than 9x systems, but worth a try.

Hit F8 during bootup, and choose 'safe mode' see what you can do from there re: scanreg /restore. Or if there is an option for 'command prompt only' that would be even better.

Hi Norm. I got to DOS using a Win98 boot disk. Scanreg /restore was an unknown command (at c:/windows). I finally did a restore from the system disk and heís back in action (no lost data). I donít know what his grandson did to his computer to screw it up so badÖ but Iím sure his next visit will be supervised.

I'm not sure where the files for scanreg are kept on WinME, but that line won't work from a bootdisk anyway. I've tried it on 98.

Glad you got it figured out regardless. There's always a way