Thread: Best HDDs

Best HDDs

My silly Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 40GB drive is already dying after 6mo. I plan for a replacement, but i'm questioning Maxtor's quality. In terms of price, performace, reliability, and noise, is there a really good manufacturer to buy hard drives from? [note that the model i had was supposed to be quiet and reliable and decently fast, plus it cost only $140CDN in May when i bought it]
    DESKTOP: P4 1.8A, 512MB, 80GB WD-JB, 64MB GF2 MX, JLMS DVD-ROM, Samsung 48x24x48x, TV2000XP Deluxe, SB128, 2000 Pro

SERVER: P3 450, 384MB, 40GB & 7.2GB IDE (Promise Ultra66), 4.5GB SCSI (Diamond FirePort), ATI Rage IIC 8MB, SMC 1211TX, 2000 Server

Inspiron 8500: P4 2.2-M, 512MB, 40GB Hitachi, 64MB GF4 4200 Go, DVD/CD-RW, M-Audio Sonica Theatre, SXGA+ 15.4" TFT, 120GB WD-BB, Pioneer A05, XP Pro

Site of Stuff:
    http://mysiteofstuff.no-ip.ca

Western Digital drives are getting rave reviews..the one's with the 8 meg catch..

SG Enthusiast
    How can you tell? I've had my Maxtor 40gig for 10 months and it seems fine...

maxtors drop like flies in ddt.. the only major drive manufacturer that sucks more, is ibm.

All Ur Base R Belong 2 Us Christopher561's Avatar
    i believe one of mine is going to because sometimes when i boot one of my 40gig Maxtor's makes a screech sound but every so often. Had my two four about a year an a half. the other one two years. they make that high pitch sound (kinda sounds like a ufo from a movie) to it kinda goes off and on and off and on... i know its not one of my fans because i stooped all of them to find out.
    Originally posted by Christopher561
    DoNT MESs wItH ME!!
    SG RocKS! :2cool:
    Dude thE DiScriPtion of this SmiLy is rolling on ThE FlooR.

Home of the SEC and Sugar Bowl Champions!
    the only REAL hard drive is a WD...FACT!

disabled account Deus ex Machina's Avatar
    Originally posted by Amro
    maxtors drop like flies in ddt.. the only major drive manufacturer that sucks more, is ibm.
    I would have argued that a few months ago.
    blessed be................

If i were to buy a HD now, I'd be very tempted by seagate. I had a 8gig seagate in my old compac and that lasted forever!

a lot of the local stores ONLY care seagate and I believe that says something.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Ok

I know Seagate usually makes really quiet drives (like my old 1GB one), and WD makes ones with 8MB caches, but i can only get Maxtor or WD in retail stores (the only places where i buy stuff). The cheapest one i could find was a WD 60GB 7200rpm one for $140CDN. Not bad no?

I use both Maxtor and WD. I've had no problems with either. The WD w/8 meg is faster. The only problem I've ever had with a hard drive is with those rotten IBM's. If you had your drive for 6 months you are still under warranty. Go to http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/ser...rranty_ata.htm to check the warranty status.
    Rig 1: Abit NF7-S 2500+ 2530@230
    Water Cooled System
    "Cather" LR White Water #87/Eheim 1250
    2x 256 corsair pc3500c2
    Softmodded 9500NP
    Rig 2:ASUS A7N8X XP2400+ 2387@217
    Gforce 3 250/560 12950 3dmarks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Western Digital, and Seagate...only drives I'll ever spend my money on. WD Special Edition drives are brutally fast, and WD has long earned a reputation as one of the most reliable drives in the market. Seagates Barracuda series area also great....above average performers, and very reliable....the Barracuda IV and V drives are fantastic. Don't touch their budget "U-Series" though.

Quantum, Maxtor, Fujitsu, you couldn't pay me to use.

IBM had my business for quite some time, until the reliability issues in the later model Deskstars...so I'm holding off for a while until they iron out their issues.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar
    WD and Seagates, Thats all i will run. Nothing but probs with Maxtor (JUNK) BTW Best Buy sell Seagates. and WD
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

WD is the only one that I will use. I've had no problems with the 2 on my machine now or any that I've installed for others.
    Null

Originally posted by Deus ex Machina
    I would have argued that a few months ago.
    LOL and now?

I havent had any probs with my Seagate Barracuda IV
    Main: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X, Asus Crosshair Hero VI, Nvidia 2070 Super, 16GB 3200MHz Ram, NVMe, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 PLATINUM, Lian Li PC-V2120

Macbook Pro 16", Intel i9, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, 16GB Ram, 1TB NVMe

Security System "NVR": Intel i7 9700k, Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac, 16GB ram, Seasonic FOCUS+ 550 Platinum, Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX, Cryorig H7

I have a Seagate Barracuda* and it is very quiet. It certainly is not the fastest and I would not argue as such, but it is the most quiet drive of it's generation. I have an open case with a couple of 80mm fans and the PSU and I cannot not hear drive. It is as close to silent as you can get.

The WDs are excellent drives, are minimally noisy, but I've heard several reports of them being DOA. They are amzingly fast.

The new IBM 180GXP is also a great choice. I believe IBM has gotten over its quality control problems and its 180Gb version beat or tied the WD 200Gb Drivezilla in every bench thrown at it. I apologize for being too lazy to get the link, as I need to go do my Spanish homework .

You should be fine with any WD, IBM (180GX), or Seagate Barracuda*:

Recap:
    +WD, IBM=FAST, available with 8mb cache
    +Seagate*=quiet, reliable
    +IBM=quiet
    -WD, IBM=minor reliabilty issues
    -Seagate*=slower

*refers to Barracuda IV, I have not experienced the V, and I assume it [V] is faster due to its 8mb cache
    -Mad_Pyro