Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Computers Ever be Superior to Humans Intellectually?

Originally posted by John
    My opinion is that in the future, computers will be on par, if not superior to human's intellectual abilities.

Humans have a long history of being short sighted.
    I agree.

They can already see, feel, hear, remember, compute and adapt. They can do some of these in ways humans can't. They can see in infra red, xray etc etc. They can hear above and below the human threshold, they can remember far better than any human, and obviously they can compute faster. Lots more, but I'm tired, off to bed.

It won't be long before they can out do humans in every category.

Originally posted by Norm
    Humans are programmed as well. Lock a baby in a room with no contact with anyone from birth to 30 years old, and ask him/her what 2+2 is.
    i think thats it all in a nutshell.... holy smokes... that point just blows things outta the water..... good job on that one norm

to kinda solve the emotions on population problem... just tell the computer if death equals answer, then problem not solved.....

disabled account Deus ex Machina's Avatar
    Humans are programmed as well. Lock a baby in a room with no contact with anyone from birth to 30 years old, and ask him/her what 2+2 is.
    One of the first points I thought of when I saw this thread (very well done Norm, a backbreaker ), we teach skills and behaviours. Emotional responses are taught as well (We all can think of unemotioanl, amoral people). As so aptly put, computers (machines) may be equipped with senses, some going beyond our own. They are not limited by the confines of a human body. They can constantly be improved.... (If we modify our genetic code........)

It is interesting how we humans recognize genius and accomplishment. Consider that the single minded devotion to playing an instrument. A programmed mechanism can outperform a similar task that a musician would require years to learn. Inspiration is a matter of creativity algorithms. Associate moods and experiences with words and sounds. It is doable.

We ourselves, are organic machines. Complex, but not unassailable.

shant,
    david
    blessed be................

If we are the creators to these machines, fancy how they have become superior to their gods......

what about this....

gonna sound complicated.... if we humans can teach a computer to be superior to us intellectually then wouldnt we be the ones superior for knowing how to teach it??? or would it be the apprentice has defeated the master type of situation....

I think the more important and fun debate is this:

We are basically playing God.

We are trying to duplicate a human by way of a machine. We will be successful.

The problem is this...what happens when the machines try to replicate us?

If you are a believer in God...then you believe that God created man. What happens if the machines fail in their attempt to act as our God in re-creating us? What if God is really a machine...pure intelligence? What if we are the failed attempts of God? It would stand to reason why we are so flawed.

I say keep your eyes and ears OPEN to all of this.

Nanotechnology, molecular based computing, DNA based CPU's, all of this is happening right now....it is reality now. Self replicating nano-circuits are now. This is not science fiction........

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Originally posted by monkeyhead
    what about this....

gonna sound complicated.... if we humans can teach a computer to be superior to us intellectually then wouldnt we be the ones superior for knowing how to teach it??? or would it be the apprentice has defeated the master type of situation....
    If you can build a structure taller than yourself, why can you not build a machine that is "smarter" than yourself?

Originally posted by UOD
    If you are a believer in God...then you believe that God created man. What happens if the machines fail in their attempt to act as our God in re-creating us? What if God is really a machine...pure intelligence? What if we are the failed attempts of God? It would stand to reason why we are so flawed.
    The thoughts and aims of philosophers for generations. We are not failed experiments, G-d, as our parent, is not done with us as of yet. .

(As an aside), Evan, ever have a creative project you are mulling, come up independantly in outside conversation?

shant,
    david

Originally posted by Deus ex Machina
    (As an aside), Evan, ever have a creative project you are mulling, come up independantly in outside conversation?

shant,
    david
    Color me stupid this morning David, but I'm not 100% sure I follow your question.

Yes, I have had creative thoughts that just hit me.

Originally posted by UOD
    I think the more important and fun debate is this:

We are basically playing God.

We are trying to duplicate a human by way of a machine. We will be successful.

The problem is this...what happens when the machines try to replicate us?

I say keep your eyes and ears OPEN to all of this.

Nanotechnology, molecular based computing, DNA based CPU's, all of this is happening right now....it is reality now. Self replicating nano-circuits are now. This is not science fiction........
    Evan, there is a book written along these same lines. A friend was telling me about it a few years ago and I never did get around to reading it. If you have heard of it, and know the name I would love to get a copy. It was a science fiction novel.

A couple of points...
    We are programmed to think 2+2=4 and it does =4 in base 10.
    2+2 also= many other answers, for instance it = 10 in base2.

One thing computers can't do is have an idea, an original thought, or a dream. When we can get to this point in our efforts to make them intelligent, it will be THE breakthrough. I don't believe humans yet understand how we have thoughts, or ideas.

Hey Norm!

After reading your post I can now see why David asked me the question.

I now have answered my own questions!

Thanks!

I agree also. Maybe computers will one day have the ability to think freely.

I hope that I will be alive to see that happen.

I think I know of the book you speak of but I too can not remember it for the life of me...off to Google!

My toaster (with one burned out heating element) is smarter than I am.

IMV(very)HO...I think that unless we be careful on what we experiment with, we will have the capability to build something that will learn and adapt to its surroundings. I guess we'll need to control the enviornment and control whatever it is in and connected to.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that you dont want to fool around with some advanced A.I. and put it in a tank, hooked up to the internet, and hooked up at the DoD. Does that make sense? If we keep it by itself in a small box, you can see it grow, but still have more control over what it can or can't do. So, we need to keep smart, level-headed researchers around it.

One more thing: I am glad that I will most likely have passed on when this stuff is really being developed or becoming more mainstream (if it isn't later). I would not want to be around when George W. Bush XXII is declaring war on all computers world wide. LOL

Well, I hope you get what I'm saying.

The way I see it, we will have computers that some day can emulate humans 100%, and even surpass us. Thoughts and ideas? Not a problem.. explain how humans have thought. We take an object we see / feel / taste /whatever, and then we expound on it's abilities based upon experiences we have had.

What's to say a computer with perfect memory can't do even /better/ than we can?

One thing computers can't do is have an idea, an original thought, or a dream. When we can get to this point in our efforts to make them intelligent, it will be THE breakthrough. I don't believe humans yet understand how we have thoughts, or ideas.
    I am not sure, Norm. Our conscious mind is a subtle but sophisticating program (Time for TonyT to jump in ). It is a millieau of diagnostics. Input of information (stimulus), translation, interpretation and response. I consider ideas as reaccessment of stored data with consideration of alternate parameters. There are decision making programs right now.

What puzzles is why do certain flavors (Or other stimuli) appeal to some and not others (regional differences aside). I like brussels sprouts, but detest beets. Why do these tastes cause different responses?

shant,
    david

BTW.... I am a fan of AI. Does anyone have a recent conversation AI program?

Evan, there is a book written along these same lines. A friend was telling me about it a few years ago and I never did get around to reading it. If you have heard of it, and know the name I would love to get a copy. It was a science fiction novel.

A couple of points...
    We are programmed to think 2+2=4 and it does =4 in base 10.
    2+2 also= many other answers, for instance it = 10 in base2.

That I agree with. If we dont know still how thoughts in are head are formed how can we even come close to replicating that with electricity and silicone. All a computer does right now is retrieve stored data and spit out statistics the way a human programmed it to do. Thats all AI is right now also. We have alot to do to figure our own CPU out before we can make a computers "intelligent"
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

I beleive computers will always be limited by their programmers, ultimately if X=3 to a computer and then its introduced that x is not equal to three and it wants to know what x equals it searches everything it can. It could never say X= a jackslapper unless that information is somewhere available to it. Creativity isn't exactly an algorithym it can be, but it is also non-mathematical which is ultimately all a computer can understand. If its not part of them or something they can access or extrapolate then they will not be able to discover that infact X= a jackslapper.
    It came upon a midnight clear up my nose

Originally posted by 64bit
    If we don't know still how thoughts in are head are formed how can we even come close to replicating that with electricity and silicone.
    Molecular & DNA based computing....that's how.

What is good about this is that in just a short time...someone, somewhere, at some lab, is going to ask a computer how to cure cancer....and the computer will answer.

That is where we are headed right now. I think in 20 years or so...we will have inoculations against cancer and other deadly diseases.

But there is a darkside to all of this as well.