Thread: Old system.....Warning Error

Old system.....Warning Error

I have a new computer....Nice, works great, but I want to take it down to do some case modding. So I thought I would put my oldie back in service while I'm doing it and then maybe leave it up on home network, for wife to play around with. I took it apart and cleaned it up, (lotta dust), and put a new (PCI) ether card in it. The card that was in it came from RoadRunner cable and is in my new system. Loaded drivers from CD for the new card and hooked up old system. It is an off the rack HP with 500 Mghz Celeron, 10 gig HD, 256 Mem.
    When the system boots up, I now get a double beep during POST, that used to be a single beep. Then a system description screen comes on that shows all components in puter. At the bottom of this screen is this Message:

Warning Error:
    Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller in Slot 2
    Bus:01 Device: OD Function:00
    Press (F1) to enter BIOS ----Press (F2) to continue.

If I continue everything works fine except I cannot get on-line. Device manager says PCI network card=this device is functioning properly.

What do I need to do? Enter F1 BIOS and change some setting? Please, if you know be real specific, 'cause I've been computin' fer awhile, but never had the guts to screw with Bios or any basic settings before. - Thanx
    ߡk@

"Okay! Who stole the cork outta my lunch?"

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'll put money on an IRQ conflict, can take some time to work out.

Easiest solution...try another PCI slot for your NIC....ideally PCI slot #2. Likely to get a different IRQ.

Or

Can you work with PnP BIOS settings...sometimes there's a BIOS toggle switch to turn Plug and Play OS "on" or "off".
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

try entering the bios and hunting around for a setting to load default settings..then reboot.. also try other pci slots

lol @ yosc, same post, same time

Okay guys, thanx so far..........Here's the thing. Remember this is off the rack (read cheapo) HP. The board only has 3 PCI slots. No AGP and no CNR. Slot 1 has a PCI vid card. I think (not sure) when I dusted it out, I pulled the 'old' net card from slot 3 and the phone modem from slot 2 and now they're in there backwards. So YOS, the NIC is in slot 2. Should I try switching them around? I really don't need the ph. modem card at all. Should I pull it out completely?
    ߡk@

"Okay! Who stole the cork outta my lunch?"

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Sure, don't need the modem, why use it.

PCI slot #1 is the standard slot for NICs.

Don't forget to boot into safe mode, and remove the old drivers for the old modem, any other dupes you see.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!