Thread: Keep losing internet b/c of IE??? Help!

i hate you. no really. thechemgeek's Avatar

Unhappy Keep losing internet b/c of IE??? Help!

The background.

I've recently moved. I used to rent a Surfboard 3100 and used Adelphia cable. I have two computers (WinXP Pro and Win98) and had them hooked up to a router (Linksys, 4 port, broadband router). In the ~two years that I had this set up I think I only had about 1 or 2 problems with the internet going out and usually it was Adelphia's (ATT@Home) fault, otherwise the service/speed was great!! When I moved I decided to purchase my own modem to cut $10 off the price and I got a Linksys cablem modem. Couldn't really decide on which to get so I got this one since I can just stack it on the router. Last week the cable guy showed up to hook up the cable TV and my cable modem. TV hookup went fine, however the cable modem was a bit of a problem. He only messed with the modem and not the router, understandable. He could get signal but couldn't get to the company login page to cert the line. Anyway, he finally got it and took off. I then proceeded to hook up the router and other computer. Nothing. Took a while for me, since I know zip about router/cable modem setup, but I found that I had to use the "Clone MAC address" feature of the router. Ok, now both computers are online.

The problem.

Every now and again my connection/internet cuts out. The modem/router lights don't change, ie the link/activity lights are still on. I've been able to narrow it down to using Internet Explorer (6.0). I have SETI@Home running all the time. Its able to dl new info all night....all day with no problem. The connect seems to be ok until I start surfing around with IE and cuts out after several minutes. If I [ONLY] power off/on the modem my connection comes back...until the next time I use IE. It seems to happen more often when I download (ftp) something. I haven't nailed down why it happens or how long it takes before it happens...but it does....and it sucks. I don't think it has anything to do with the service and everything to do with IE. I have all the updates including SP1 for XP. My only thought is that something in IE is corrupt and a fresh install might help. I'd rather not have to do this, but I will if I need to do it.

Your thoughts?

This is usually indicitive of a line problem, what firewall are you using? Do you have the latest firmware for your router? Check all the connections on your cable (coax that is).
    Help & Tips broadbandnuts.com - CableNut Tcp/Ip Analyzer TCPOptimizer drtweak.com - Dr Tweak

i hate you. no really. thechemgeek's Avatar
    no firewall. just a router. i had za pro going for awhile, but thought it might be the source of the problem. i have the lastest firmware for the router and the coax seems fine. it's not like i can't view websites/surf....it just cuts out after a while. hell, i dl mech4 demo (100+ MB) with no problems. a simple unplug power and replug to the cable modem will get me going....it's just annoying.