Thread: Northbridge Cooling

Northbridge Cooling

Hey I put a 40mm fan on my northbridge heatsink and was wondering should I have stuck some rubber washers between the fan and the heatsink or will the fan be ok just sitting on top of the heatsink.?

Hanging out with Prince Albert Needlefreak's Avatar
    Never heard of any probs caused by that...How is the fan and HS secured to the Northbridge?

Re: Northbridge Cooling

Originally posted by Cameron203
    Hey I put a 40mm fan on my northbridge heatsink and was wondering should I have stuck some rubber washers between the fan and the heatsink or will the fan be ok just sitting on top of the heatsink.?
    if it's not vibrating and making noise,then don't worry about it,my blue orb is just clipped on one side and stuck on with thermal tape and it's fine.here is my NB project.
    this first pic is the old cooler that came with my mobo,but it did'nt come with any thermal tape or paste.

so I took off the soyo fan and there is no thermal tape or paste AT ALL on the via chip.I could only fit one mounting pin on the Orb and I used thermal adhesive tape.It seems to hold just fine.

so with the blue orb in place

and I think it also looks pretty cool too! J

now my temps at idle are much more stable and lower on the northbridge.

Its just held down with some screws (machined) and believe me you couldn't pull it off.

I just know when you attach a fan to the cpu heatsink that they tell you to have some space between the fan and the heatsink.

I just know when you attach a fan to the cpu heatsink that they tell you to have some space between the fan and the heatsink.
    who is "they" ? lol

the only thing to worry about is that the fan blades clear the HS,otherwise you would always want to secure the fan to the hs as good as possible.

if you look at my cpu HS assy,the delta fan is screwed to the hs with no space at all between the fan and the heatsink and it works fine.

on my NB HSF the fan is attatched directly and close to the blue HS ,with no space.

How are you getting your chipset readings?

I have an Abit IT7 Max and Max 2 and I only have a CPU and Case Temp monitor, but there is a third temp sensor but no one seems to know what it is.

How are you getting your chipset readings?

I have an Abit IT7 Max and Max 2 and I only have a CPU and Case Temp monitor, but there is a third temp sensor but no one seems to know what it is.
    my Soyo Dragon+ has a third temp sensor that I believe reads the NB temps in MBM,it jumps around alot and it's not a really critical temp anyway! I just did the HS and fan upgrade on my NB more out of the shear need to tweak more and play than anything else! LOL