Thread: My new computer does not work well with games or online games why?

Question My new computer does not work well with games or online games why?

Here are my specs:
    Intel Celeron 1.70 GHZ Processor
    48x CD-ROM
    Intel 3D Extreme Graphics AGP
    40 GB Ultra DMA HDD
    128 MB DDR SDRAM
    ADSL Internet Connection

It only seems to work on old games or new games with very low graphic settings.

What is going on?

Folding Thunder
    1- You don't have enough ram for today's newer games
    2- Could also be that onboard grahics adapter.

Would A Geforce 2 PCI work better?
    Also how much more RAM would I need?
    Would normal SDRAM work for a computer with DDR RAM?

Folding Thunder
    Originally posted by ScrewU2
    Would A Geforce 2 PCI work better?
    Also how much more RAM would I need?

Forget the GF2

For a great budget card, go with a gf3 Ti500 and get stick of 256Mb of ram.

Todays games run on a minimum of 256 DDR and a video card with at least 64Mb ram. You'll be able to run some of the games but if you really wanna game this is a great upgrade:

GF4 Ti4200-128Mb
    384-512mb of PC2100 or PC2700 DDR

You already have the cpu speed and plenty of Hard drive space.

Look here for the deals on the ram and vid card:
    www.newegg.com

Highly recommended!

I don't really shop online but what does the Geforce 4 usually run at best buy or circuit city?

Would a PCI Geforce 4 MX 420 64MB DDR work good, because I only paid $400 for the computer and I'm almost sure it would cost at least half of that for what you said but I saw one of these the other day for $100.

Folding Thunder
    Trust me, you don't wanna buy a vid card at those places. The MX series aren't all that bad, but i would'nt want one.

newegg is safe i assure you. About 90% of the people i know buy from newegg and are happy. I only do business with newegg. I've never had a problem and i get my stuff in 2 days fed-ex shipping.

For the same price you can get the GF3 Ti500 and it'll rock!

Does that site require a credit card? If so I cannot shop there. I am not 18 and I live with my grandparents and they do not belive in credit cards.

If I only had 256 MB of DDR RAM and bought the Geforce 4 you mentioned would all of the games work properly?

Don't get an MX card, stay away from those, rather get a ti4200 atleast. With that your games will run fine

if he doesn't want to pay that much, the Ti probably little too expensive for him. Go for the ATI Radeon 8500 or 8500LE, they run really nicely for price, probably around the same price as a GF4 MX, trust me

Folding Thunder
    Originally posted by cy
    if he doesn't want to pay that much, the Ti probably little too expensive for him. Go for the ATI Radeon 8500 or 8500LE, they run really nicely for price, probably around the same price as a GF4 MX, trust me

Yeah.......um.......what he said.

ATi (ugh) *shudders*

Yes I have seen those ATIs at Circuit City before and they ran from $79.99 to $249.99. I was looking at them yesterday.

With onboard video make sure u have an agp slot on that baby or ur choices for video cards will be severly limited. And if you do have the agp slot and dont want to spend alot of money get the radeon 8500/LE for a budget under $100 and get the TI4200 for a budget under $150. they will both play games nicely and wont break the bank. if you can muster the xtra $$$ try and get a 128mb version, that will 'future proof' your purchase a little longer.

I 2nd Lt's motion to shop at Newegg...its safe. I hate plugging them but damn they do a good job and their prices are very good. we should all get free stuff for plugging them, yeah?

I've got a radeon 8500 I might be willing to sell you. I've been considering an upgrade and now is as good a time as any. I've sold to a couple of people on here. I took the time to put heatsinks on all of the ram, although I overclocked it for a total of 20 minutes before I realized that it was a waste of time and not worth the risk. I think one of the heatsinks fell off though.

let me know if you're interested and I'll sent you some pictures. I dont mind dealing with a check or money order and talking over the phone isnt a problem.

tom

(I hope it's okay that I posted this here.)
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

I called Emachines tech support and the said my computers BIOS is not compatible with Radeon 7000 series and higher. I asked them if the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 was compatible and they said it was. So I am going to have to go with the Geforce 4. Or I could save up my money and wait for the Geforce FX to come out. Anyone got a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 they would like to sell at a fairly cheap price with check or money order?

Originally posted by ScrewU2
    I called Emachines tech support and the said my computers BIOS is not compatible with Radeon 7000 series and higher. I asked them if the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 was compatible and they said it was. So I am going to have to go with the Geforce 4. Or I could save up my money and wait for the Geforce FX to come out. Anyone got a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 they would like to sell at a fairly cheap price with check or money order?
    nothing to do with you... but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard! A gf4 will work, but a radeon7000 or higher wont??

Thats what they said it seems weird don't it.

PM brent or one of the video gawds here.

they'll know the truth cause that doesnt sound right. The gf4 is an amazing card, but I think it's more then your computer would really handle.

Sounds to me like Emachines dont sell ATI products so that's why its not 'compatible'

that is bunch of crap if i ever heard it.