Thread: System Lock up and Clock is off

Question System Lock up and Clock is off

I have a problem with a system that I am going to pick up on Wednesday.

The system has this mobo.

http://www.biostar-sw.com/products/mainboard/socket_370/m6vlq/

256 mb of PNY sdram.

A good 300 watt power supply.
    Westen Digital 30 gig hard drive
    Windows 98se fully patched.
    Onboard sound & NIC
    Onboard Video

Not the greatest system, but they bought it to cruise the web and for email.

The problem is this, as they describe it.

The system locks up, if they are typing a notepad document the keys they press do not register untill it on locks and then the machine is fine for awhile. While it is locked(hung) up the clock does not count time. They have told me the system will lock up sometimes right after a clean boot, which buy the way fixes the clock being off or sometimes it may not lock up for many minutes.

It locks(hangs) at random times in random applications. Sometimes on the desktop.

The system is only 4 to 5 months old. When I get it hear and I am able to see it hang up I can give more info.

Any suggestions as to what might cause this.

Being the clock is reset correctly upon reboot, I think the battery is fine.

Could it be a memory problem? The other thing I was thinking was maybe they went in the bios and screwed with the apm settings????

tia

Jon

Folding Thunder
    Sounds like a bios screw up. You'll have to get into bios and reset evrything back to default and see. Just take the cmos battery out for a few minutes and put it back. That usually clears it.

Problem Solved

Problem Solved.

Road Runner decided for what ever reason this party needed two network cards.

The one I installed for them and the one the RR tech put in. As soon as I removed the rr tech's network card which was sharing an IRQ with the video card all is well. I sit here and wonder why anybody would install another network card when the one in the machine is an Intel NIC and the one they installed is some 8 dollar piece of ****. Then to cap it off, not look and see if this new piece of hardware is sharing an IRQ.

Re: Problem Solved

Originally posted by Jon
    Problem Solved.

Road Runner decided for what ever reason this party needed two network cards.

The one I installed for them and the one the RR tech put in. As soon as I removed the rr tech's network card which was sharing an IRQ with the video card all is well. I sit here and wonder why anybody would install another network card when the one in the machine is an Intel NIC and the one they installed is some 8 dollar piece of ****. Then to cap it off, not look and see if this new piece of hardware is sharing an IRQ.

well cable techsare always the top of the line techs out there