Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good scsi cards?

good scsi cards?

brand and models pls

looking around at used ones on ebay and hard forums and stuff and i wanna know what to look for.

thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Adaptec!

If you can find OEM, Compaq's Smart Array controllers are great too!

As for models....well, depends on what kind of drives that you have. And what type of controller you want, plain vanilla, or RAID?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

adaptec 2940uw?

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    adaptec 2940uw?
    That's an old stand-by...very popular card in entry level servers...it was one of the more popular cards around.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

adaptec 2940uw?
    i agree with the man (YoSC). if at all possible, i would look for the 2940U2W (that's ultra2 wide as compared to ultra wide... 80MBps vs 40MBps).

in my personal opinion, it;s the perfect marriage between a 32bit PCI bus and SCSI host adapter. the next step above the 2940U2W would be something like a 19160 (U160 SCSI), and you wouldn't really get the full benefit of U160 across a 32bit bus. across the SCSI bus, yes... but that's about it. you'd need a 64bit PCI bus to really let it stretch it's legs.

i had a 2940U2W for a long while. great, rock-solid host. as a matter of fact it's still plugging away in a VPN server for one of my freind's clients. i traded it and a 15K 18GB drive for a 29160. no, i don;t have 64bit, but i was just exercising a little forward thinking. it's every bit as fast as the 2940U2W and a bit more.

well i can get a used 2940UW for 75 bucks, cant find a 2940U2W at all

faust, found a link to specs on the 2940U2W, but it says its 40MBps as well

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Adaptec!

If you can find OEM, Compaq's Smart Array controllers are great too!

As for models....well, depends on what kind of drives that you have. And what type of controller you want, plain vanilla, or RAID?

raid would cost alot, trying to keep this down, as for drives i have none. i figured its best to decide on teh adapter card first.

this is gonna be for my tyan tiger 230T dual mobo. in teh process of picking up 2 1.4 tualatin p3s for it on the hardforums(if paypal starts workign for me!) for a good price. And i want to try scsi, so i figure an older card would serve me well since i have no real demand.

Got an even older AHA-2940W sitting in my desk drawer here at the office. Doin nuttin.

On the other hand, you should see this SCSI setup I'm building today...hot swap drive bay, 3x U160 drives on a Compaq 532 smart array...will be RAID 5. 64 megs cache on this I believe.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

wide
    ultra wide
    ultrawide 2
    50 pin
    blah blah blah

its gonna be on a 33mhz pci bus what is a waste for 33mhz and what DONT i need? is fuast right about teh 80mbps?

Adaptec AHA-2940U2W......

here

Adaptec AHA-2940UW.......

here

i stand corrected.

Just to throw in another one... I like the Mylex RAID cards too.

Tough to beat the Compaq SmartArrays for simplicity and durability though.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Adaptec AHA-2940U2W, 90 bucks plus shipping. sound good?

Adaptec AHA-2940U2W, 90 bucks plus shipping. sound good?

is that new or used? i haven't seen them "new" in stores for some time, but some retailers may still carry NOS (new old stock) 2940U2Ws.

$90 seems about right in either event. you could do better if it's used... but even then it's an OK price. it'd be tough to find a controller of that brnad/quality for less.

oh, also.... what do you have planned for drives?

a really good place to shop is www.ubid.com, under "computer components". some of the products/items are refurbished (not all, but some), but they are usually warranteed, which is something that's terribly unreliable with buying off eBay. not to say eBay is bad at all. it's just that a SCSI host is one thing (no moving parts). but drives have moving parts, and i always suggest (as with buying auto parts) that a person buys new if this is the case. "used" could mean anything...... 100 hours of use or 286,473 hours of use, and if it has moving parts, that means wear.

you'll need a credit card number, though (to bid on uBid.com).

ya its new old stock.

now for drives, what work for this card the ultra wide 160 and 320 wont will they?

yes, U160 drives will work with it, but the interface speed will be U2W instead of U160. the physical performance of the drives will be the same (so sustained reads and writes won;t change)... just the cached reads and writes will be lower. just like running a new ATA/100 or 133 drive on an ATA/66 controller.

anything 50pin or 68pin will work. even 80pin SCA drives will work, but you would need an adaper.

if i were you, i would look for 68pin LVD hard drives (the most common). i currently have (on the 29160 host, but i also ran the same config on the 2940U2W for awhile) 3 68pin LVD U160 hard drives on the LVD channel, and a 50pin Ultra2 SCSI CD-ROM and a 50pin Ultra2 SCSI CD-RW on the first channel.

the 2940 will support almost all current drives. maybe with the exception of FC/AL, which require their own fibre/scsi adapters.

well a 15k 36 gig 4.3 seektime seagate u160 is in my price range

good deal, man. i have been pondering picking up some more SCSI storage myself.

IBM IDE drives have a very bad reputation (because they earned it), but on the other hand, their SCSI drives are worthy for sure. not as fast as the hogh-performance SCSI drives out there (Seagate Barracuda for example), but they are pretty solid. IBM has been involved with the server market for a long time, and they take strides to ensure that.

before you buy something (if you have any doubts), please post to be sure all is copacetic.