Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nexland ISB SOHO loses network connection

Nexland ISB SOHO loses network connection

I bought a new Nexland ISB SOHO router a couple of weeks ago and networked my PCs on it. Since I started using the Nexland I noticed a strange thing I have not seen in the past 4 years of using the cable modem broadband connection. The network connection gets disconnected often (atleast once or twice a day). During the disconnect I am sometimes able to get into the Nexland config screen (192.168.0.1) and sometimes I am not. During the times I am able to load the config screen I see the network status as "Disconnected". Even the PC to PC LAN does not work until I reboot the computer. I disconnected the router and connected one of my computers directly to the cable modem for 4 days. No disconnects happened. Only when I started using the router again the disconnects happen.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I can do to rectify this? I have even tried powering down everything for half an hour and restarting.

Thanks in advance.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Boy that router just hasn't been fun for you, has it.

Hmmm, do you have the latest firmware installed?

Have you tried mailing Nexlands support with the question? They do have good support, curious what they'd say. I've only setup the SOHO on 1x cable setup, the rest have been all DSL's, and it's been a great router for that.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

YOSC, Remember the original problem I had which you had solved for me? Before I had received your answer for that problem I had sent an e-mail to Nexland's tech support. Till today I have not received a reply from them. So I am a bit leery of e-mailing them with this new problem. My best chance of success would be to get advice from the users here in this forum.

I am sure someone here would be able to solve this problem for me

PS: Just before I wrote this reply, the router died again. My PC complained about not being able to obtain a DHCP address from 192.168.0.1(the router). I powered down everything, waited for a while and powered back on and it is OK for now.

One curious thing: Before the router "dies" it becomes veeeeeryyyy....slooooow....google.com takes a minute or two to load. Then the router dies altogether.

I am running Win2k server on my main PC where I do the majority of my work and WinNT4.0 on the other PC.

The firmware I have is the latest.

Originally posted by neo960
    YOSC, Remember the original problem I had which you had solved for me? Before I had received your answer for that problem I had sent an e-mail to Nexland's tech support. Till today I have not received a reply from them. So I am a bit leery of e-mailing them with this new problem. My best chance of success would be to get advice from the users here in this forum.
    Don't email them use the active support. Both times I used it they responded the same day.

If you ask me it sounds like they need to send you a new router. Just my opinion. This is based on the fact you are having internal (PC to router issues) I have never had any similar issues. Just my 2 cents.
    P4 2.4ghz 512ram XP pro ATI 9600pro
    P4 2.0ghz 256ram Win2000 Geforce2 MX 400
    P4 1.6ghz 512ram XP Home Geforce4 Ti4200
    P3 866mhz 320ram ME & XP pro TNT2
    All thru HotBrick 600
    P3 1.1ghz 260ram Win2000 laptop

Just a thought....

Have you tried a different patch cord? You may have a bad connection to the router.

Originally posted by Norm
    Just a thought....

Have you tried a different patch cord? You may have a bad connection to the router.
    On one PC I am using the new CAT5 cable that came with the router. On the other PC I am using an old CAT5 cable that I had with me. Maybe the cord that goes from the cable modem to the router could be bad. But that does not explain the failure of the PC to PC Intranet connection.

Originally posted by BlackSword
    Don't email them use the active support. Both times I used it they responded the same day.
    Thanks for the tip. I will try that.

Just by chance, jot down the MAC address listed on your SOHO on the first page of it's web admin, then enter the MAC of the computer you had on the connection. See if MAC spoofing works better.

Under the Expert Level section, what is your Idle Renew DHCP set to, I have mine at 0.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Just by chance, jot down the MAC address listed on your SOHO on the first page of it's web admin, then enter the MAC of the computer you had on the connection. See if MAC spoofing works better.
    This I had done on the first day when I had the initial problem. Unfortunately I had forgotten to jot down the original value before I did it.

Under the Expert Level section, what is your Idle Renew DHCP set to, I have mine at 0.
    It is 0 for me as well.

The router had died for the 5th time today. This time I tried "ipconfig/release" followed by a "ipconfig/renew". That brought my connection back alive on my Win2K machine. But it did not work on my NT machine. On the NT machine I got "Error 2" Renewing adapter..." message.

Hmmm, Win2K Server, by chance, you're not running DHCP on the server, are you?

How about DNS?

First, I prefer static IP's on the network, unless an NT server is running the DHCP service...as, even on the Nexland router, I don't really like the DHCP service on routers...have never found them too reliable.

Assuming the default 192.168.0.XXX scheme is still on the Nexland, try static IP's on both computers, 192.168.0.11 and 192.168.0.12, 255.255.255.0 subnet for all, gateway of 192.168.0.1 for all, and for DNS, you can also put the routers IP, or better yet, your ISP's 2x DNS server, or your 2K Servers DNS if you have it setup and working or forwarding.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I did not know I could set up static IPs in my LAN.

I followed the instructions on the Nexland manual and set both my computers to obtain an IP address automatically and I have not set up any DNS entries. The WINS tab has "Enable LMHOSTS" checked and IP Settings tab has the "DHCP Enabled" message.

I followed your advice and changed my settings as follows:

PC#1: Static IP: 192.168.0.2
    PC#2: Static IP: 192.168.0.3

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS: 192.168.0.1

I did not know what to enter for WINS addresses and so I left it blank.

I rebooted both computers and the internet connection works OK on both machines. But the Intranet is not working. Any suggestions?

Edited to add: Intranet is working now. I had to put the other comp in my zonealarm trusted zone.

Sorry for being such a pain...

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    your ISP's 2x DNS server, or your 2K Servers DNS if you have it setup and working or forwarding.
    I am not that much an expert on networking. So can you explain what I should be doing here please?
    Thanks

PS: My network is working OK at the moment after setting up the static IPs. Keeping my fingers crossed though...

Yes you can run static IP's on the LAN side.....it's my preferred method of setting up LAN's, unless an NT server is around with a robust and reliable DHCP service to manange the IP of the clients.

The reason I mentioned your Win2K Server, is that I don't know how you set it up, but it also may be running a DHCP service...and there cannot be two DHCP services on the same network...because they will cause each other to hangup. You can only have 1x DHCP service running.

WINS...you don't need that for internet access, and unless you have a WINS server running on your network, you must leave it disabled (if Win9X), or blank on NT, even though it warns you when you adjust your TCP properties on NT and leave WINS blank. WINS is used for computer name resolution on larger NT domain networks...nothing to do with the internet, yet workstation clients (such as Win9X) will query it if you have it enabled on workstations setup on a router, and fail to connect to the internet, if there is no WINS server. You may or may not have this setup and running on your 2K Server.

As for DNS...if you haven't setup your DNS service on your 2K server, I'll skip that part. As for what to enter for DNS on each workstation, check out your routers web admin, the status tab...jot down the 2x DNS servers the router is getting from your ISP...and add those to your two computers DNS section...as 1st and 2nd...leave the routers IP for 3rd.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I did not set it up, but I saw the DHCP client service running in the services window on the Win2K server. Should I stop the service and make it manual or disabled?

BTW, Should I setup IP forwarding?

Thanks.

Noevo just brought this thread to my attention. holy crap! I'm having exactly the same problem with my Nexland pro400. Most of the suggestions I have tried also. Nothing seems to work.... and on top of that, I cannot gain access to any of the servers on my LAN ( from outside the router ). I plugged my old linksys back in and --poof-- everything is back to normal.

Neo960... yer not alone.

I've tried running static and dynamic on all boxes on the LAN. Same WAN disconnects either way. I've changed the "force renew" on the router config also to more often.... no dice.

Still the problem has not gone away. Just now powered down and rebooted for the 19th time today. First the speed goes to a crawl probably around 9600 baud (I used to use a 9600 bps connection back in 1994, I believe. The speed I get now appears to be the same). Then after a while the connection completely dies.

Now that I powered down and rebooted the speed has come back to normal. So I am posting this message before it goes away again...

Only today it has been THIS bad. At least for the past two weeks it used to happen only once or twice a day.

I have made a request for help in Nexland's Active Support page. Let me see what they say.

Iaus10: What can I say? We live and learn....

Why Oh Why did I forsake buying the Linksys in favor of this turkey?

I'm thinking it's got to be a configuration thing. I alrady have a couple replies to an Active support Issue # 0999996326

Hopefully they can help.

edit: apparently you can't view open issues by entering the #
    Last edited by iaus10; 11-21-02 at 08:15 AM.

Iaus...you have cable also? What type of cable modems do you guys use?

Neo, just noticed in your sig...#9 graphics....wow, I remember those. Man, very fond memories of the beginning of 3D graphics...and all the companies out there making thier own chipsets. DHCP client service...that's fine. I was looking into if you have a DHCP server service. Anyways, if it is still happening after changing your LAN side to static IP's, then it's not an internal LAN issue with the routers DHCP service, rather it's a problem on the WAN side.....like it just won't get along with your cable modem.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Good thought, I'm using a Motorola Surfboad 4100 modem. Maybe ATT will swap my Motorola for a Toshiba.
    I did find a page on Nexland's Knowledge base about some people with ATTbi having connection issues...

Their fix didn't work.

Hmm, my buddy has the Surfboard, his ISB SOHO runs like a champ on it. His ISP doesn't use MAC though, it uses host name, like CE12345a.
    Guinness for Strength!!!