Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Ntfs & Fat32

  1. #1
    SpeedFreak
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,885

    Ntfs & Fat32

    posting here because I need a quick answer

    Am I going to have problems if hd1 is FAT32 and hd2 is NTFS?

  2. #2
    SG DC Team Member Paft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    5,736
    You shouldn't have any problems.

  3. #3
    Certified SG Addict Brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    42,163

    Re: Ntfs & Fat32

    Originally posted by Banshee
    posting here because I need a quick answer

    Am I going to have problems if hd1 is FAT32 and hd2 is NTFS?
    only if your fat32 partition is running win9x in which case it cannot see the ntfs partition therefore all you would see is your C drive in win9x

    but the win2k/xp partion can see both
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

  4. #4
    SpeedFreak
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,885
    Alright

    another quick question, how can I delete a folder throgh dos (er, comand prompt in XP) ?

  5. #5
    Certified SG Addict Brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    42,163
    Originally posted by Banshee
    Alright

    another quick question, how can I delete a folder throgh dos (er, comand prompt in XP) ?
    rd xxxx

    where xxxx is the folder name
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

  6. #6
    Criminal Master Mind ExarKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Under The Police Station
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: Re: Ntfs & Fat32

    Originally posted by Brent
    only if your fat32 partition is running win9x in which case it cannot see the ntfs partition therefore all you would see is your C drive in win9x

    but the win2k/xp partion can see both
    Brent Im going to have to disagree with you on this one,
    at Work I have one machine with 98se on a Fat32 that can see its slave drive thats ntfs, then to even top that it can read all the ntfs drives on every machine via the network.

    Now in DOS mode win 9X cannot read NTFS but once windows loads I have never had it not able to read a NTFS drive
    There Is only the Here and The Now, If you forget about that You might as well be Dead!

  7. #7
    SpeedFreak
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,885
    Originally posted by Brent
    rd xxxx

    where xxxx is the folder name
    The directory is not empty

    How can I delete a folder and everything in it?

    I've got a screwed up file that I can't delete.

  8. #8
    Certified SG Addict Brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    42,163

    Re: Re: Re: Ntfs & Fat32

    Originally posted by ExarKun
    Brent Im going to have to disagree with you on this one,
    at Work I have one machine with 98se on a Fat32 that can see its slave drive thats ntfs, then to even top that it can read all the ntfs drives on every machine via the network.

    Now in DOS mode win 9X cannot read NTFS but once windows loads I have never had it not able to read a NTFS drive
    YOu can view an NTFS hard drive from win9x if its on the networked as a mapped drive

    but you cannot physically see an ntfs hard drive from a win98se fat32 hard drive locally on the machine
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

  9. #9
    Certified SG Addict Brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    42,163
    Originally posted by Banshee
    The directory is not empty

    How can I delete a folder and everything in it?

    I've got a screwed up file that I can't delete.
    rd xxx /s /q

    where xxx is the folder name
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

  10. #10
    SG Enthusiast twwabw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    LeRoy, NY, USA
    Posts
    2,472

    Re: Re: Re: Re: Ntfs & Fat32

    Originally posted by Brent
    YOu can view an NTFS hard drive from win9x if its on the networked as a mapped drive

    but you cannot physically see an ntfs hard drive from a win98se fat32 hard drive locally on the machine


    Correct. 9.x will see a physical drive, but cannot see the data on an NTFS drive or partition, on the same machine. But they can see any networked resource on another PC / Server that's NTFS (doesn't need to be mapped).
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

  11. #11
    Murders & Executions Cypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Returning video tapes
    Posts
    2,717
    I use FAT32 on my game HD and NTFS for C:
    .

  12. #12
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,913

    Re: Re: Re: Ntfs & Fat32

    Originally posted by ExarKun
    Brent Im going to have to disagree with you on this one,
    at Work I have one machine with 98se on a Fat32 that can see its slave drive thats ntfs, then to even top that it can read all the ntfs drives on every machine via the network.

    The 9X machine is not reading the NTFS drive....the operating system that is loaded and running on that NTFS drive (such as NT server) is reading that drive, and translating that NTFS drive through Microsoft Networking to it's clients, which can be reading it through the normal UNC, or the old fashioned drive mapping.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •