Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson #1: Speed Kills

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar

Unhappy Lesson #1: Speed Kills

>>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

dont speed!

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Speeding doesn't kill. It's like saying "guns kill".

Untrained, immature drivers kill. It's too easy to get a drivers license in the US, and they are giving them out at too young of an age. Untill recently you could get a license here, in Louisiana, at the age of 15. You can't drink till 21, yet you can get in a one ton truck and drive at 100 mph on the interstate, with no supervision and very little training at the age of 16.

I would like some input on this from people outside of the US,

What does it take to get a drivers license? What age and what kind of training?

In Germany, on the Autobahn, you can drive flat out if you like. But I bet some 16 year old kid with eight hours of classroom instuction, that passed a whopping 20 question test, can't get out there and do it.

I'm not trying to bang on the teens, there's lots of responsible kids out there, but there's alos a lot who aren't.

We need better training for drivers of all ages.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

And JCOS, did you pull over to take those pictures?

Do you realize how dangerous that is? Somebody rubber-necking (like you) could have slammed right into the back of you.

Sorry man, but it had to be said,

We all need to pay attention to the road ahead of us and quit causing traffic jams just cause we want to see what happened.

Look at how many times an accident on one side of the highway has caused a pile up on the other side. Either from people looking and not paying attention to what's in front of them, or from cars stopping to help and causing an accident.

Originally posted by RoundEye
    And JCOS, did you pull over to take those pictures?

Do you realize how dangerous that is? Somebody rubber-necking (like you) could have slammed right into the back of you.

Sorry man, but it had to be said,

We all need to pay attention to the road ahead of us and quit causing traffic jams just cause we want to see what happened.

Look at how many times an accident on one side of the highway has caused a pile up on the other side. Either from people looking and not paying attention to what's in front of them, or from cars stopping to help and causing an accident.
    Pull over? About 5,000 vehicles where pulled over for about 1 hour caused from the debris of 10 other vehicles from the other side of the interstate.

Speed does kill. Prove otherwise.

After 9 years of driving in all kind of conditions I think I know better. Drifting at 1 m.p.h for 10 miles after the accident and snapping a picture wasn't going to cause another backup down to Connecticut. lol

This was meant to make people understand that speed in fact does kill no matter if it's a 16 year old to a veteran road man of 45 years.

Roundeye,

If you notice the first picture shows a highway road maintenance truck passing on the shoulder of the highway doing approximately 35 m.p.h. as I snapped that picture. I think you mistaken me doing a fly by while taking those two pictures. We were pretty much at a stand still unless you call inching 4 inches every 60 secs.

Sorry man wasn't trying to rag on you, you've driven a lot, so you know how crazy it gets on the road. Others aren't so aware of this.

Sorry man wasn't trying to rag on you, you've driven a lot, so you know how crazy it gets on the road. Others aren't so aware of this.
    NP dude. That's why I'm an defensive driver.

Too many accidents on a day to day bases for people to know otherwise. Most just drive from home to work, from work to home and from home to the mall and then back. lol

Originally posted by Mohan-san

Some info for the UK.
    Learner driving license is issued at 17. You can only drive whilst accompanied by a driver who has passed their driving test and must display plates with large red "L". Have to take practical and theoretical tests to get full license.
    Motorbikes are seperate and governed by similar but different tests.
    Heavy Goods Vehicles, (HGV), and (PSV), Public Service Vehicles, buses, coaches etc, can't be driven until 21 and tests are much tougher.
    Speeding carries a 3 point penalty usually, as do most minor offences, 12 points is a ban. 70 mph limit on most major roads but doing over 100mph usually gets you a ban.
    Drink driving automatic 12 month ban.

Originally posted by Forgetful
    Some info for the UK.
    Learner driving license is issued at 17. You can only drive whilst accompanied by a driver who has passed their driving test and must display plates with large red "L". Have to take practical and theoretical tests to get full license.
    Motorbikes are seperate and governed by similar but different tests.
    Heavy Goods Vehicles, (HGV), and (PSV), Public Service Vehicles, buses, coaches etc, can't be driven until 21 and tests are much tougher.
    Speeding carries a 3 point penalty usually, as do most minor offences, 12 points is a ban. 70 mph limit on most major roads but doing over 100mph usually gets you a ban.
    Drink driving automatic 12 month ban.
    Interesting

What's the "legal" drinking age in the U.K.?

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs Of Staff
    Interesting

What's the "legal" drinking age in the U.K.?
    Legal by most definitions is 18, when you are allowed to buy at shops and drink in pubs etc. In reality there is no lower age limit, you can drink in restaurants with a meal at 14 I think. At home there is no limit.

A question from me. If you can drive in your home state at say 15 when you cross a state border with a higher age limit can you still drive?

Originally posted by Forgetful
    A question from me. If you can drive in your home state at say 15 when you cross a state border with a higher age limit can you still drive?
    Nope.

That's like in Louisiana there's no helmet law, go into Mississippi without a helmet, and you either get a ticket or they run your ass back to the state line.

In Greece (and I imagine most of the rest of the EU) they have to have 40 hours classroom instruction and 40 hours on the road with an instructor. You must be 18 or 20 I cant remeber. Driving there is so crazy. No one stops for lights in athens. I would be so scared driving there.!
    XP 1600+ @1606 Mhz, GIGABYTE Mobo WD 60GB 8MBc, 512 MB pc 2100 DDR, GF 2 Ultra, Win XP Pro, CDRWx40

War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things: The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings, which thinks nothing (is) worth a war, is worse.

-John Stuart Mill “The Contest in America”

Originally posted by Onethenumber2
    In Greece (and I imagine most of the rest of the EU) they have to have 40 hours classroom instruction and 40 hours on the road with an instructor. You must be 18 or 20 I cant remember. Driving there is so crazy. No one stops for lights in athens. I would be so scared driving there.!
    Are you from Greece?

I spent many of weeks in Rhodes and on the island of Crete. I absolutely adore Greece!

I get more mileage at a constat 80mph then 55. Sticker says to get 31mpg, i get 34 mpg going 80 (lcd panel)

Its inexperience that kills people in cars. I have had so many close calls cause of my inexperience, i hit a car 2 weeks after i got my license in the parking lot, but not damage, lucky me

I lived there as a kid and just visted recently. We lived in Athens but the islands are great!!!! Except the mosquitoes, they aren't so great! I was all swollen after 3 days there. I looked so funny on the plane home!
    XP 1600+ @1606 Mhz, GIGABYTE Mobo WD 60GB 8MBc, 512 MB pc 2100 DDR, GF 2 Ultra, Win XP Pro, CDRWx40

War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things: The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings, which thinks nothing (is) worth a war, is worse.

-John Stuart Mill “The Contest in America”

Speeding doesn't kill. It's like saying "guns kill".

Untrained, immature drivers kill. It's too easy to get a drivers license in the US, and they are giving them out at too young of an age. Untill recently you could get a license here, in Louisiana, at the age of 15. You can't drink till 21, yet you can get in a one ton truck and drive at 100 mph on the interstate, with no supervision and very little training at the age of 16.

I would like some input on this from people outside of the US,

What does it take to get a drivers license? What age and what kind of training?

In Germany, on the Autobahn, you can drive flat out if you like. But I bet some 16 year old kid with eight hours of classroom instuction, that passed a whopping 20 question test, can't get out there and do it.

I'm not trying to bang on the teens, there's lots of responsible kids out there, but there's alos a lot who aren't.

We need better training for drivers of all ages.

the reason they lisence at such a young age is that the nearest store is 12 miles away