Thread: Whew, I need HELP.

Whew, I need HELP.

I'm just about to go crazy over here. ;_;

So, let me just start by giving the necessary specs, and then I'll explain the other details:

- Cox.net Cable service, 3000/300 (which I have attained in the past, with cetain settings)

- Toshiba PCX2000 cable modem

- Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router, model BEFSR81 ver. 2

- Windows XP Professional

- 4 computers are connected to this network, all with 10/100 nics

If there's anything else you need to know, please tell me. I just want to get this problem resolved.
    -------------------------------------------------

OK.

Now, allow me to EXPLODE.

Back before I was sharing this connection, I had perfectly fine download/upload. I was content with having just a little over 3000/300, since that was what is advertised. I did the usual tweaks to get there, of course.

Slowly but surely, I've been falling further and further away from the 3000/300 mark as I've been attempting to share my connection with my roomates. It just seems like everything I try fails, or makes our connection worse.

When we first attempted to share my connection, we did the old two nics in one computer trick. That worked *ok*, but it seemed to really hurt our connection at times.. not to mention the fact that we all share an IP and that when I shut down my computer, I'm shutting down the internet. I didn't really care for that, but at least our connection wasn't horrible.

So, after awhile, we decided to get ourselves a router. I guess we just wanted the extra control and features that a router provides. I had my eye on the Etherfast for a long time, so we got that one.

At first, it was great. Slowly, however, our connection sank and sank and sank - below 1Mbit at times. Of course, our upload was even worse, dropping to lower than 50.

I've talked to Linksys, and they say that our Toshiba PCX2000 modem may be outputting too much power for the router to handle, thus causing our connection to suffer worse and worse over time. They suggested multiple ways to stiple this power, all of which either failed or are just not possible for me to do at this time. (one of them was to connect the cable modem to a hub, then connect the hub to the WAN port??? eh? That doesn't even sound like it would work.)

I've also had multiple other problems since I bought this router, such as the fact that my roomates and I (3 of us) can not all play in an online game together. Two of us can be in the same game (counter-strike, for example) online, but once the 3rd one tries to join, our pings shoot up over 1000 and we have to quit or just lag out.

With each problem I've had, I've talked to a Linksys rep and they walk me through a set of steps, usually changing some settings in the firmware of the router... and they never work. We've set ports for applications, setup a DMZ Host, etc., etc.

I'm am getting SO FRUSTRATED.

I just want someone to tell me EXACTLY how to get my connection to do the following:

1.) at least close to 3000/300 like it WAS.
    2.) share the connection effectively!
    3.) allow for things like playing games online, etc.

I'm just SO tired of getting the run-around from "tech support" people who are supposed to know this stuff. Please help!

This could be numerous things, but it's best to start with the basics and make sure you have everything tweaked properly and go from there. Please read the Help & Tips link in my signature and answer the questions so we can get started at solving your problem.

1. Download CableNut.

- I did.

2. What type of connection do you have? i.e. 56K, ISDN, DSL (PPPoE or not), Cable etc.

- Cox.net cable internet

3. Who is youe ISP and what is your advertised speed from them? i.e. Cox.net & 3000/256 - this is advertised in kilobits per second. If you don't know your caps please provide us with a link to your ISPs homepage.

- Cox.net 3000/256

4. What are your current settings now? Do a TCP/IP Analyzer test and copy and paste the results (remember to XXXXX out your IP address) here.

- Analyzer Result:
    ------------------------------------------------

TCP properties for IP = XXXXX
    Browser/OS = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
    Note: Read the FAQ if the above is not your IP address.

TCP options string = 020405b40103030301010402

MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.

MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 513920
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 3 bits
    Unscaled Receive Window = 64240
    RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
    128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    64240 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product:
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 20556.8 kbps (2569.6 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 8222.72 kbps (1027.84 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 44 hops
    TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349)= 00000000

------------------------------------------------

5. What kind of speeds are you getting now? Do 10 speed tests from Speakeasy (choose the location nearest to you) clearing your internet temp files prior to each test, and give us the average of your top 5 tests. This will give you a good baseline to go by but remember speed tests are not 100% accurate.

- Averaging around 1500/100

6. Please tell us your operating system i.e. 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2K or XP.

- Windows XP Pro

IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND
    Remember your goal is to get about 90% of your rated speed, sometimes depending on factors beyond your control i.e. routers, servers, line quality etc. it just isn't gonna happen, no matter what you do.

- Yes, I understand that. More than you know. ;_;

-------

Thank you for any help you can provide. ;_;

OK first off that RWIN is ridiculous for Cox and could very likely be part of if not the problem, use the following settings in CableNut:

DefaultReceiveWindow = 384000
    DefaultSendWindow = 32768
    DisableAddressSharing = 1
    InitialLargeBufferCount = 100
    InitialMediumBufferCount = 240
    InitialSmallBufferCount = 320
    LargeBufferSize = 81920
    MaxFastTransmit = 64000
    MediumBufferSize = 15040
    PriorityBoost = 0
    SmallBufferSize = 1280
    TransmitWorker = 32
    FastSendDatagramThreshold = 4096
    EnableFastRouteLookup = 1
    EnablePMTUDiscovery = 1
    IgnorePushBitsOnReceive = 0
    GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize = 64240
    MaxFreeTcbs = 8000
    MaxHashTableSize = 16384
    MaxNormLookupMemory = 5000000
    SackOpts = 1
    SynAttackProtect = 1
    Tcp1323Opts = 0
    TcpLogLevel = 1
    TcpMaxDupAcks = 2
    TcpMaxHalfOpen = 100
    TcpMaxHalfRetried = 80
    TcpRecvSegmentSize = 1460
    TcpSendSegmentSize = 1460
    TcpTimedWaitDelay = 30
    TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer = 0
    TcpWindowSize = 64240
    MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server = 20
    MaxConnectionsPerServer = 10
    DefaultTTL = 64
    DisableUserTOSSetting = 0
    TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 6
    DefaultTOSValue = 92

Also do the following:

1. Under your LAN connection - properties - general tab, uninstall all the protocols there that you do not need.

2. Open IE and select tools - internet options - connections - LAN settings, make sure NOTHING there is checked.

3. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your NIC from the manufacturer. Set your NIC duplex mode to 10mb half duplex for Cable, for DSL it is ISP dependent unless you are using a router, if so then set it to 100mb full duplex for both Cable & DSL (the instructions are in my Help & Tips link).

4. Clear your temporary internet files.

5. Power cycle your modem, unplug it for atleast 15 seconds.

6. Download and update then do a scan with SpyBot, anything checked in red is spyware and safe to remove.

Once you do all of the above please post back and let me know where things stand.

1. Under your LAN connection - properties - general tab, uninstall all the protocols there that you do not need.

- done, though I left QoS in there. The QoS is there because of the related tweak. The other things there are Cleint for Microsoft Networks, File and Print Sharing, and of course TCP/IP.

2. Open IE and select tools - internet options - connections - LAN settings, make sure NOTHING there is checked.

- done.

3. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your NIC from the manufacturer. Set your NIC duplex mode to 10mb half duplex for Cable, for DSL it is ISP dependent unless you are using a router, if so then set it to 100mb full duplex for both Cable & DSL (the instructions are in my Help & Tips link).

- done, set to 100Base Full Duplex.

4. Clear your temporary internet files.

- done.

5. Power cycle your modem, unplug it for atleast 15 seconds.

- done.

6. Download and update then do a scan with SpyBot, anything checked in red is spyware and safe to remove.

- done, just formatted yesterday anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

After testing my speed, it averages out to be about 1500/200 now. Slight improvment on the upload, but that's it. Any thoughts? I think the problem may lie with my router, as described in my first post, if that helps.

The problem could be the router, how is your speed bypassing the router? Try that and see now your speed is, you must also remember you are splitting your bandwidth 4 ways. Also the QoS tweak is bogus it doesn't do anything so you should uninstall it.

I attempted plugging the modem into my own computer as I had in the past but it just wouldn't connect to the internet. In fact, it made my computer run all stupid.. like, with a "tick" to it, during which I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even move the mouse for more than a few seconds.

I apologize, you need to set your NIC duplex mode to 10mb half duplex if you aren't using the router, try that and see what you get.

doh, I'm so stupid, I should've thought of that. :P Ok, I'll try that and reply back.

or maybe not. :/ it still wouldn't find my internet connection

Try resetting your modem when you remove the router or open a command prompt (start - run) and type ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew.

Ok, I'm now connected directly to my modem. The average speed I'm getting with all the changes we've made so far is 2100/200.

:/ Any thoughts?

That is a bit better escpecially for this time of the evening. Try the OOL FTP Test and see what you average then multiply it by 8 to see how close to your caps you are. If your speed is averaging 2300 or higher then that's likely all you are going to get (depends on allot of factors) then you might try and lower your RWIN on all the pc's to 37960 or 52560 and see if it helps any since you are sharing the bandwidth.

But I had an average that was almost dead-on 3000/300 before I got this router, so none of this has really solved anything so far. :/

Sure, traffic might be causing a problem, but fully tweaked I should be getting my old speeds again.

There could be factors beyond your control such as too many people on your node, how long ago was it that your connection was so good? Have there been allot of people in your neighborhood get Cox also?

Well, now that you mention it... I did notice that when I compared my results on dslreports.com's speed test with others from the 3 nearest zip codes, everyone listed has cox.net, and they are all getting about 2000/200, like me.

However, a couple months ago, I was getting somewhere around 3100/330 on every test and most everyone else in my area that was on cox.net had even higher speeds than me, between 3000/300 and 5000/300.

I'm assuming now that it must either be cox.net sucking, or my router, or my modem... OR a huge, terrible combination of all three together in a conspiracy to reduce my cable internet down to less than a 28.8 modem. ;_;

Ah well.