Thread: Stupid stupid hobbits.

Stupid stupid hobbits.

Finally saw LOTR (last person in US to see it maybe?), and have to rant. I know I'm taking this TOO seriously but hell, I take plots seriously and like characters to react with common sense.

Great movie, but my god, if I was Frodo I seriously would've sent my incredibly stupid hobbit companions packing.

Given the seriousness of the situation (reign of un-ending terror over the entire middle world), why do he and the others put up with a level of idiocy that endangers not only Frodo's life but those of their entire society?

3 situations come to mind, any one of which I'd have used to send them away, anywhere.

Cooking tomato/onion meal over fire on the top of the pinnacle where the black riders can, and do, see them. Right there...BOOM! Piss off hobbits.

Throwing rocks into the water outside the dwarf mine entrance like a spoiled kid and waking the water monster...thereby removing all options other then the mines. Way to go rock-chucker, you fight him, we'll watch you.

Then there's the idiot who's plucking at a skeleton over the dry well-like shaft. Everything's all quiet, then he knocks the skeleton and all the armor, etc down the shaft...the drums start and the orcs start swarming. Way to go hobbit.

I know I know, just a movie. You can damn well rest assured that if it was MY script Frodo would've sent those chumps packing, especially given the gravity of the situation.

can you tell I haven't had any coffee yet? Geez

That is all.

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    well... without idiocy it wouldn't be fun ot watch now is it..

mr frodo goes throug the orc mine without a fight... just strolling through.. lalalalal..

no one ever knows where they are... lallala.. they got to mordor.. have a few fight threw it in.. the end.. heh..

that won't be kinda fun to watch now is it? hehe...

however in reality I would agree that they're stupid... but then again... this is a movie.. and hobbits don't exist!

Originally posted by Immortal
    well... without idiocy it wouldn't be fun ot watch now is it..

mr frodo goes throug the orc mine without a fight... just strolling through.. lalalalal..

no one ever knows where they are... lallala.. they got to mordor.. have a few fight threw it in.. the end.. heh..

that won't be kinda fun to watch now is it? hehe...

however in reality I would agree that they're stupid... but then again... this is a movie.. and hobbits don't exist!
    I see your point Immortal, but I'm not saying to make them all so smart that they avoid confrontations completely.

It's the fact that no one but Gandalf (after the armor down the shaft blunder) ever calls them on their stupidity...never says WTF, we've been running and hiding from the 9, are sitting up here on this exposed rock and you built a damn FIRE? What sort of idiots are you?

Nobody ever tells Sam, your stupidity is what caused that water monster to rise up and force us into this mine and almost kill everyone.

The plot was great but I just wish Frodo, just one frickin' time, reamed them out and called them on their actions...acknowledged their actions that endanger his life over and over.

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Originally posted by Humboldt
    I see your point Immortal, but I'm not saying to make them all so smart that they avoid confrontations completely.

It's the fact that no one but Gandalf (after the armor down the shaft blunder) ever calls them on their stupidity...never says WTF, we've been running and hiding from the 9, are sitting up here on this exposed rock and you built a damn FIRE? What sort of idiots are you?

Nobody ever tells Sam, your stupidity is what caused that water monster to rise up and force us into this mine and almost kill everyone.

The plot was great but I just wish Frodo, just one frickin' time, reamed them out and called them on their actions...acknowledged their actions that endanger his life over and over.
    maybe that's the reason why he left em?! hehe.

but then again.. those 2 other hobbits got captured! we might get to see them get tortures! hurrah!!!

heh..

Talking

Originally posted by Humboldt

I have never viewed hobbits in quite that manner but now that I think about it, they are stupid and Frodo should have sent 'em packing; but then I reconsidered and realized that w/o the 3 stooge hobbit brigade, the books and adventures would have been nowhere near as interesting. Besides, doesn't everyone have that one or two or three idiotic close buds?

Originally posted by major marco
    Besides, doesn't everyone have that one or two or three idiotic close buds?
    [thinks of De Plano] Well, yes, I guess you have a point there

Someone had to munster those confrontations and who else but a friendly sidekick like Frodos companions?.

You ever watch a horror film and say to yourself, "Why the hell is she going back into that house after the evil spirits told her to L-E-A-V-E?" because that would be the end of the film.

I also believe that it was J.R.R Tolkiens objective to show the flaws of innocence in such characters. Can you imagine if Aragorn made such mistakes, it would take away his glitter of honor and integrity; values that tend to be extensions of a warrior class which the Hobbits are not.
    got old

Originally posted by Think
    Someone had to munster those confrontations and who else but a friendly sidekick like Frodos companions?.

You ever watch a horror film and say to yourself, "Why the hell is she going back into that house after the evil spirits told her to L-E-A-V-E?" because that would be the end of the film.

I also believe that it was J.R.R Tolkiens objective to show the flaws of innocence in such characters. Can you imagine if Aragorn made such mistakes, it would take away his glitter of honor and integrity; values that tend to be extensions of a warrior class which the Hobbits are not.
    Well put, great word usage

You're all missing my point though.

You forgot about the happenings in the Prancing Pony. Where one of them uses Frodo's real name. And they were somewhat called out for that whole mishap

But at least with Sam, you have the loyalty to compensate for the stupidity.

Originally posted by Noevo
    You forgot about the happenings in the Prancing Pony. Where one of them uses Frodo's real name. And they were somewhat called out for that whole mishap

But at least with Sam, you have the loyalty to compensate for the stupidity.
    DOH! How could I forget that? Stupid frickin' hobbit, Frodo should've kicked his ass for that one.

I'm not sure the two (loyalty and stupidity) equate

Although, looking at De Plano and his fat dog (the dog being the loyal one) maybe you DO have a point.

just kidding, just kidding. geez