Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obesity and flying

Obesity and flying

"Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Good on her for pushing the claim.

It's hard enough being packed together like sardines.

It's also hard to believe the woman "forgot" to book the extra seat on the return flight. She knew she needed the extra and Virgin would also have known the requirements when they took the initial booking.
    She suffered injuries including a blood clot in her chest, torn leg muscles and acute sciatica and remains in pain two years on.
    Thanks Brent. I seem to remember a somewhat heated discussion about this subject a while ago.

Croc.
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

damn fat people -- they piss me off *argh!

Uninsured for your health
    Yes, some fat people need two seats. I would like to know how big the other person was as well as how touching that pther person would cause such extensive injuries...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Angry

brandon kw

watch it or or come and hunt you down

Originally posted by Brandon_k_W
    You saying me and the other fat people of SG piss you off...? you must have ALOT of anger inside ya...

The way the report reads it was a little more than touching and there is a pic of the woman which looks like she is of average build.
    The flight was 11 hours also which would have been bloody awful for the woman.

Brandon, there are those who are overweight for reasons other than overindulgance.

Croc.
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

brandon, you are capable of much deeper thought than that. i am very disappointed.

Originally posted by CiscoKid
    You saying me and the other fat people of SG piss you off...? you must have ALOT of anger inside ya...
    i should have said obese. i know you wouldn't have to take two seats on a plane, that is just friggin huge and people that are that obese brought it upon themselves. doing that to your body makes me wonder that those people don't care much about their looks or attitude to others, that's why most obese people are always MEAN. *that's just what i have found them to be, though*

Originally posted by Brandon_k_W
    i should have said obese. i know you wouldn't have to take two seats on a plane, that is just friggin huge and people that are that obese brought it upon themselves. doing that to your body makes me wonder that those people don't care much about their looks or attitude to others, that's why most obese people are always MEAN. *that's just what i have found them to be, though*
    I'm having a hard time with this one. I've been thinking about it and I can't think of a single obese person, from my youth to now, that was mean..quite the contrary..all them them are just the opposite of what you describe. Jovial would be more like the term. Not that it applies to everyone...but in my limited experience..it doesn't apply to a single one.

Also.....be very careful about labels......one of them just might sneak up on you and take a chunk out of your backside, someday. Some call that karma....

wow.

how big are these people? My wife's aunt is grossly obese and it's not ALL her fault. Her only real option is stomach stapling... and that rather dangerous.

anyways, i rode a train to NYC with her recently and we were fine sitting together. that was for 8 eight hours.

it's all about how she sat, which was her choice!

There is no way I will buy 2 tickets to get on a plane, the goddamn ticket agent will die first, then the security.

A quick flying tip for larger people always sit near the window and never get up for any reason.

Yes Im a big fat greasy bitch....
    There Is only the Here and The Now, If you forget about that You might as well be Dead!

if ya cant fit in 1 then ya gotta buy 2!

yeah, i agree with you on that one YOS. May be harsh to say, but if a person can't sit in a seat without spilling over into another then, they either need to buy a second seat, or drive.

I am not obese. I am not fat. I have a belly (it's gotten bigger as I've gotten older). If I don't watch w\hat I eat and work out, I will get fat (rather quickly). It's very hard sometimes, I LOVE beer and pizza, bacon and eggs, Ben and Jerry's. I have many friends that eat and drink ALOT more than me and have never set foot in a gym, never work out or exercise and remain skinny as rails.

It's not always just as easy as that for someone to lose weight. Many habits are formed long before we have a choice (the way we are raised and fed as children for example).
    My sister is obese, and has had congestive heart failure because of it. She tries to lose weight but it is very difficult for her. If I ever hear someone make fun of her or make a snide comment, bet your a$$ I'll kick the living $h!t out of them.

Please avoid falling into stereotypes that are mean and hurtful. Overweight people are people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Originally posted by Rhuurrr
    Please avoid falling into stereotypes that are mean and hurtful. Overweight people are people too.

Yes I'm fat, but I eat VERY little. Ah crap...reminds me...I gotta call my doctor monday....

Originally posted by Rhuurrr
    I am not obese. I am not fat. I have a belly (it's gotten bigger as I've gotten older). If I don't watch w\hat I eat and work out, I will get fat (rather quickly). It's very hard sometimes, I LOVE beer and pizza, bacon and eggs, Ben and Jerry's. I have many friends that eat and drink ALOT more than me and have never set foot in a gym, never work out or exercise and remain skinny as rails.

It's not always just as easy as that for someone to lose weight. Many habits are formed long before we have a choice (the way we are raised and fed as children for example).
    My sister is obese, and has had congestive heart failure because of it. She tries to lose weight but it is very difficult for her. If I ever hear someone make fun of her or make a snide comment, bet your a$$ I'll kick the living $h!t out of them.

nicely said.

on another note did anyone read about the national association to advance fat acceptance? they are actually making a fuss about this!?!?

ok if you dont fit in ONE seat...then you need TWO...its not a matter of discrimination..its just a damn fact. if someone was too tall to fit into a sports car should they then sue the car manufacturer for discriminating against tall people in making that car?

I mean cmon...some people need common sense...
    AMD Athlon 1900+ XP | ASUS A7V266E mobo |Visiontek Xtasy GeForce3 Ti500 | 40gb HD 7200 | 16X DVD | 256mb DDR | SBlaster Audigy XGamer | Windows 2000 | Cooler Master ATC-210 Azure
    Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    this dude needs some pimpish SG title lol

besides... a lot of people gain serious weight because of meds they NEED to take.

I think the whole thing is SICK.

Perhaps if you are big enough to require two seats, you should be REQUIRED to tell the airline? Or, they should not allow you to take the most heavily traveled flights?

Now, there's a good compromise. You need to tell them you'll require two seats, but you dont have to pay for the extra. Plus, certain flights are off-limits. everybody wins!

what do you think about that?

size in this instance never mattered,only what is in the brain,

the real danger is if that obese organization pushs through the anti-discrimation law. Those laws ARE DANGEROUS. They hurt more then they help because companies are RIGHTLY AFRAID to hire heavier people then because they CANT fire them if they turn out to be losers.

Dont believe me? Look DEEP into what happened when bushy signed the handicap law into effect in 92, I believe it did more harm then good.