Error Message: Unable to Initialize Windows Sockets Interface

System specs

Pentium II 400
    256 meg ram
    40 gig hard drive
    SMC 1211TX 10/100 NIC
    Windows XP Home w/SP1

==========================================

Ok, this computer above is one that belongs to one of my customers. He's got a connection issue between the cable modem and the computer. The network card is not the issue, as I replaced the one that was in there (an SMC 1208) with a new card (SMC 1211TX 10/100). The problem that I am running into is when I try to pull a new IP thru ipconfig, I get an error message that states "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : the system cannot find the specified file"

After getting this, I tried pinging local host and got this message: "Unable to initialize windows sockets interface, error code 0".

I also tried to do a net view \\localhost, and got this message "System error 1231 has occured." The error code that I found that matches 1231 says "The remote network is not reachable by the transport"
    (http://www.helpmecentral.com/Error_C...odespage4.html)

I've got a feeling that it's the winsock within windows xp that's causing the problem, but blowing out the winsock in xp is not the same as windows 9x...and I can't for the life of me find where to properly rebuild winsock in xp...

Also, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, in case the winsock angle doesn't work...

Thanks much for any ideas
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

HERE is the link you're looking for.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by C.M. Weaver
    HERE is the link you're looking for.
    Mucho appreciated Will give this a shot when I head back out there tomorrow...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein