Thread: Linksys BEFSR41 Settings?

Linksys BEFSR41 Settings?

I've been getting a lot of random disconnections and high pings lately due to my router. After looking at the configuration it got me wondering about these settings:

Block WAN Request: Enable Disable
    Multicast Pass Through: Enable Disable
    IPSec Pass Through: Enable Disable
    PPTP Pass Through: Enable Disable
    Remote Management: Enable Disable
    Remote Upgrade: Enable Disable

What do each of these do and how should I set it?

I'm on Cox @ Home cable.

SG Enthusiast
    Sure it's the router? Why do you say so?

I would enable the first and disable the rest, unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise (like hosting a public server). I don't think that any of the aforementioned settings would have any effect on your reported issues. What is the MTU set to?

Have you tried a tweak test thru the router?

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

MTU is @ 1500

From other posts that I've read, I thought I was supposed to DISABLE "block wan requests"

And another thing.. how do I configure my computer with a static ip address so that I can have "better sync" with my router? I've tried going into network neighborhood and specifying a ip address of 192.168.1.100 (the one I'm supposed to have from my router) but it doesnt work.

SG Enthusiast
    MTU is good.

From other posts that I've read, I thought I was supposed to DISABLE "block wan requests"
    Need a little more context for that. There is no optimal setting that I am aware of, depends on how you use your connection. Setting to disabled you are visible, but refusing connections. Blocking (Stealth) makes it look like the machine is off.

Static addressing: before you change anything open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" if on NT/2K/XP or "winipcfg" under 9x/ME. Write down everything.

Go to your router config and disable the dhcp server or at least set the range of addresses so it doesn't include the address you want for your box.

Set you ip/sn/dg/dns1/dns2 to the values you got from ipconfig and you should be good to go.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Did what you said, and now I'm on static ip. Now to see if I still have my disconnection/ping problem....

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Block WAN request is good...if nobody can ping you....you'll be left alone. Peeps won't mess with what they don't know is there.

Remote management and upgrade you want to leave disabled....do nobody can mess with your routers admin functions from the WAN side.

Others don't worry about...leave default.

By saying random disconnects....from the WAN side, or LAN side?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

When I disconnect, it still shows my modem as ONLINE so I'm guessing it's the LAN side. Every client gets this, not just my computer. After disconnecting, if I just poke that reset button on the router with a paperclip, after a few seconds its back up again. That's how I'm positive its my router; at least from what I've done and experienced.

I've gone through 2 BEFSR41 routers already, both having the same problem. I guess its time to try out the Nexland SOHO I've been hearing so much about.