Thread: Anybody here into car stereos?

Anybody here into car stereos?

The sound system in muh new car needs a bit of help. The mids are disgusting. Real boomy and chesty. The highs are real muddy too. The bass is taken care of, I have a Bazooka sub, and its fine for car sound.

Been looking at some Infinity Kappa .5 series, or the Reference series. Also a brand called "Image Dynamics" caught my eye. Both sets are close in specs. 92 db sens, both have high end numbers that are pretty close, price is close as well. My biggest problem right now is that I have no idea of my mount depths and such, as no site I can find has the 2003 WRX specs up as of yet. I have been using the 2002 model as my basis. I have a call into Subaru to find out the particulars.

So who can enlighten me?
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

www.cardomain.com

get some focals - far better than infinity and ID

I've been on the sister site of cardomain(sounddomain) for awhile tonight. Thanks reverse.

Geezus...the Focals are insane priced....look awful nice tho.

doh... I meant sounddomain.com . It's been awhile.

Yes, the focals are pricey but worth it. There are some others not quite expensive as those but I would figure out your budget first then decide on what's best for you as I'm sure you already know.

The ID's come with a special promotion...a dynamat door kit for each one(4" ers and 6.5"ers.) Thats like 180 bucks of extra stuffs, and I like dynamat, I had most of my Integra lined with it.

Would you recomment ID over Infinity or vice versa?

Good speakers may only emphasize the shortcomings of the electronics.

Originally posted by poptom
    Good speakers may only emphasize the shortcomings of the electronics.
    Well, thats certainly an issue. I have ordered some Infinity Reference series speakers. Good sensitivity(no amp as of yet), and I'll toss em in there and see what needs to be addressed then. I'm hoping that the factory speakers are just crap, and the head unit will drive em okay. I have ruined any chance of getting what I WANT(for a reasonable price) sound-wise cuz I come home to a great system. Its just that right now, the sound is putrid, I shoulda got the premium sound system from Subaru I guess.

Here is what I got....

4" Speaker
    6.5" Speaker

Look good to y'all?

you should look at some polk audio for mids...i got the 6.5" 365's...they are awsome when combined with my 10" RS bazooka sub tub
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Infinity isn't the best when it comes to mids but to some it does the job. I would highly suggest you listen to them before buying anything. Almost 99% of the time, your install will determine how well it sounds. If you are just getting speakers and no amp, I don't think you will see much difference between most speakers. New speakers with no amp pushing them will basically only clean up the sound.

I'm not the best to talk to about audio since I haven't really dealt with it in awhile, I tend to only focus on performance now and have taken out most of my stereo equipment for weight savings .

BTW, I am pretty sure you will be happy in the difference between the stock speakers and what you just ordered. Definately get a little amp (the JBL p80.4 amp) which will definately enhance those speakers. I doubt the stock headunit has more than 25w per channel.

Originally posted by brembo
    Well, thats certainly an issue. I have ordered some Infinity Reference series speakers. Good sensitivity(no amp as of yet), and I'll toss em in there and see what needs to be addressed then. I'm hoping that the factory speakers are just crap, and the head unit will drive em okay. I have ruined any chance of getting what I WANT(for a reasonable price) sound-wise cuz I come home to a great system. Its just that right now, the sound is putrid, I shoulda got the premium sound system from Subaru I guess.

Here is what I got....

4" Speaker
    6.5" Speaker

Look good to y'all?
    I have infinity reference in the truck. GREAT sound, under powered though from my head unit. They, IMHO, really need an amp to get them to sound their best. I have the 5x7's, so you may have a little bit more bass from yours (mine is fine, not lacking- just that you tend to get better bass out of round speakers than oval). Mine are rated at 60W RMS, and head unit kicks out 19 RMS. So, you have to turn the volume up a bit more than I would like to get my normal driving with the windows open sound (around 15-20 on my volume level). Then they start to clip at around 30 on the volume level, depending on what I am listening to. Volume on my head unit maxes out at 50.

Sound quality is awesome though

i've been waiting awhile to order and put my system together, and with paying off my car loan next week i should be able to save up rather quick.

got a link to these focals?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Crutchfield's catalog...have always gotten stereo equip from them!

Infiniti Kappa series....had them in my old Jeep...loved them. Crisp and tight! Hope to put some in my new Jeep soon when I give that stereo an upgrade.

Was always partial to Kenwood systems.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Try this site it has a ton of info on all makes and models

The 12 Volt
    There Is only the Here and The Now, If you forget about that You might as well be Dead!