Thread: Hoping YoS may have some advice...

Hoping YoS may have some advice...

I am looking for a network surge protection product that can be installed at our network equipment and at each PC, Network printer etc..... about 130 cat5 connections in one building and another 40 in another.

Have trouble sorting through all the offerings that are out there.

We had a lightning strike 2 months ago that knocked out every PC, printer, fax machine, phone, thermostat......damn near everything in the building. Trying to come up with a good plan to prevent this from happening again.

BTW - I wanted to replace the surge protectors on each PC with one with cat5 protection but each PC has 2 cat 5 connections....haven't found one with two cat 5 connections.

ANY thoughts appreciated!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Head on over to www.apcc.com

ProtectNet is one of their products that has some various devices down to the individual level, also on their website, look on the left side for "Protecting your LAN/WAN".
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks...

for the info. I has given me something to start with.

BTW- do you include surge protection in the networks you design?

Re: Thanks...

Originally posted by CBurcik
    for the info. I has given me something to start with.

BTW- do you include surge protection in the networks you design?
    Not on the networks, I've done two of those in buildings that had a history. Gets pricey!

Always have a good battery UPS for the servers....some places with flakey power I get basic batters UPS for the workstations also..can get small ones for under 80 bucks per.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    Sounds like a lighting rod may be more effective - at least cheaper
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Smile Yeah.....

A lightning rod would be cheaper.....

I got a quote of $5900 for a system that would protect 2/3 of our equipment.

damn criminal...

The two that I did....one was small, one was larger. You're building has shown that it's likely to do it again...I'm guessing you have a lot of steel framing.

Two RJ-45's per machine?

As you're noted, there are surge strips with RJ-45 protection...I stick with APCC...but you need one more. Can get a surge with protection, and one of those little ProtectNet connectors for the other (it's a little dongle that looks like a filter you put inline on your RJ-45.

On the patch panel side....there is surge protection for the patch panels in the server room....each port has it's own protector.

That should cover both sides....server room, and workstations.

5900 bucks for some protection....sounds steep. But how much did it cost to replace what the first strike wiped out....not only both in replacing equipment, but in IT staff time, and in lost productivity time of the employee's who had their computer down...not to mention possibly the servers.

Have a good electrical company overhaul the building.
    Guinness for Strength!!!