Thread: My IDE RAID array is loosing performance?

My IDE RAID array is loosing performance?

what happen!

When I first created it and had a clean install of WinXP with all the updates I was scoring 45MB/sec in sandra

Now I am getting 25MB/sec!

My array consists of two WD 80GB Special Edition drives in RAID 0 on a High Point 372 controller on my Abit BD7II-RAID mobo....

I have only used 18.7GB of space out of the total 160GB of space

I have cleaned off crap on my drive and defragged last night

I have updated to the latest BIOS and High Point BIOS and I have checked that I have the latest High Point drivers.

Why has it slowed down so much though? and how can I make it faster short of a format, heh...

i'm just at a loss how it can slow down so much
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

SG Enthusiast
    Did you set the options to bypass the windows cache or use the windows cache? Might want to check that and make sure it is set the same as before.

I had a similar situation after I did one of two things: I installed W2k SP3 and my Lexmark printer drivers, one of those two screwed my benchmarks up.

I have also stopped trusting my Sandra scores so much, use ATTO more now.

Originally posted by Snuf
    Did you set the options to bypass the windows cache or use the windows cache? Might want to check that and make sure it is set the same as before.

I had a similar situation after I did one of two things: I installed W2k SP3 and my Lexmark printer drivers, one of those two screwed my benchmarks up.

I have also stopped trusting my Sandra scores so much, use ATTO more now.
    "Did you set the options to bypass the windows cache or use the windows cache?"

Could you direct me to that option?

Ok I just ran hdtach

my burst rate is good 88.5 MB/sec

my average is actually where it should be, 46MB/sec

I see the problem though looking at the Minimum speed it dipped down to 3.5 MB/sec!!!!

The Sequential Speed is up and down all over the chart! from 3 MB/sec up to 64MB/sec !

its very erratic...

but i just defragged last night, it shouldn't be so bad...

Could it be because I have both hard drives on Seperate IDE channels, i.e., I have one on IDE 3 and the other on IDE 4, two seperate cables on the High Point 372? Is it better to have them both on one cable as master/slave? Or is it best to keep it how I have it with two seperate cables?

SG Enthusiast
    Most controllers recommend separating the drives - my adaptec certainly does.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    I thought you HAD to seperate them. makes sense that way.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

SG Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Brent

I see the problem though looking at the Minimum speed it dipped down to 3.5 MB/sec!!!!

The Sequential Speed is up and down all over the chart! from 3 MB/sec up to 64MB/sec !

its very erratic...

but i just defragged last night, it shouldn't be so bad...

Could it be because I have both hard drives on Seperate IDE channels, i.e., I have one on IDE 3 and the other on IDE 4, two seperate cables on the High Point 372? Is it better to have them both on one cable as master/slave? Or is it best to keep it how I have it with two seperate cables?
    Mine does exactly the same thing, up and down all over the place, but averages out where it should, at about 47MB/sec.

I recently cut the ends off my cables, which seems to have had an adverse affect on my burst rates.

Having it on separate channels is the recommended method.

As far as the Sandra options, they are at the buttons at bottom of the file system benchmark window, can't remember which one off hand.

Folding and genome slap the benchies around something fierce. I did a Speed32 bench with my two WD Se's and when folding is running, the max will swing upwards of 50mb sec, then dip to 20 mb sec.

Brent, yer on Intel these days right? MAKE SURE you have the "Intel Application Accelerator" in there. Just hop over to MS and do a search on that app, installs like a windows update and whatnot. I get some great scores outta my drives, and the app accelarator sure did help.

Burst on my normal ATA 100 IDE is 86, and a sustained 47-49(for the first few hundred cylinders).
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.