Thread: increase the size of photoshop scratch disks?

striderf1

Question increase the size of photoshop scratch disks?

How do I increase the size of my photoshop 6 scratch disks?

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896

From the Adobe web site:

Setting Scratch Disks
    Photoshop's scratch disk is similar to virtual memory. For the best performance you should set the Primary (Photoshop 4.0.x) or First (Photoshop 5.x) scratch disk to a defragmented hard disk that has plenty of unused space and fast read/write speeds (rather than a network drive or removable media such as a Zip or JAZ drive). Photoshop requires at least 25 MB (Photoshop 4.0.x), 80 MB (Photoshop 5.0), or 125 MB (Photoshop 5.5) of free hard drisk space, but more is recommended. If you have more than one hard disk volume, you should specify additional scratch disks. Photoshop 4.0.x supports up to 2 GB of scratch disk space on a total of 2 volumes; Photoshop 5.x supports up to 200 GB of scratch disk space on a total of 4 volumes.

To set the Scratch Disk preference:
    1. Choose File > Preferences > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks
    2. Choose the drive that has the most free space from the Primary (Photoshop 4.0.x) or First (Photoshop 5.x) pop-up menu.
    3. Choose a second drive, if available, from the Secondary (Photoshop 4.0.x) or Second (Photoshop 5.x) pop-up menu.
    4. If you are using Photoshop 5.x, choose other drives, if available, from the Third and Fourth pop-up menus.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Restart Photoshop.
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!

Ah great- a Photoshop guru!!

I support some users that use Photoshop extensively. I notice that when it starts, it says something like "Warning- your swap file and scratch file are located on the same volume.", or something like that.

Well, all these machines only have 1 volume!!! What am I supposed to do about that! I'm not about to add 2nd hard drives for a Photoshop swap file!! I guess I also don't get what difference it makes if it's just on a separate volume? A separate physical drive- yes, that makes sense. But what kind of increased read/write performance are you going to get from a partition on the same physical drive?

Anyway, what should I set the scratch disk size to be? A couple are pretty heavy users. They have either 256 of 512 RAM, and huse hard disks w/lots of space, so size is not a concern- I can make as big as I want.

Advice???
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896

I'm no Photoshop guru...I just searched at the adobe website for the previous answer, but i'll take a crack at it anyway.

Photoshop is probably warning that your performance could be limited because both windows AND Photoshop will be using a swap file on the same disk. To answer your question, creating a second partition wouldn't increase perfomance, since it's the same physical disk. As for the size of the scratch disk, I'd make it as big as it needs to be without giving you errors. If the only issue you're having is the warning at the beginning, then It's probably no big deal.
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!