Thread: Home network security question (Sygate, proxy software, etc..)

Home network security question (Sygate, proxy software, etc..)

Hello.

I have two pc's each running win 98 FE. I have them networked together via a cross-over cable. PC #1 also has my ADSL connection which is shared with PC #2 using AnalogX Proxy software. PC #1 has two network cards installed: 1 for the modem, the other for the home network. I don't run a router because.. well, I don't want to spend more money than I need to and this setup works fine.

I have a question regarding file/printer sharing and the Sygate firewall software.

Currently, I'm trying to get the network to do the file sharing on IPX and the internet on TCPIP. I've disabled file/printer sharing on all TCPIP links in the network. I've allowed file/printer sharing for the IPX. I'm having problems with the two machines seeing each other through the network neighbourhood. PC #2 can browse through PC #1 using Netscape yet can't ping it. PC #2 doesn't see PC #1 through the network neighbourhood but when I do get it to see (which is on a rare occasion), I can map drives from #2 to #1 and do file transfers. I also tried to use NetBeui but that didn't work either. I don't know if Sygate is stopping everything IPX wise from coming through. I don't have any special rules built in and I seem to have everything open that is related to my network.

So my alternative is to stick with TCP/IP to do everything but I want to make sure that Sygate will stop anything coming if I set file/printer sharing on in PC #1. PC#1 has Sygate installed on it. Am I concerned for nothing with Sygate taking care of business or is there anything extra I need to do to make sure I've covered all ports by using TCP/IP strictly?

Thanks.

I have the exact same setup except that instead of sygate i use Agnitum outpost, and i use tcp/ip all around, and itīs all good and dandy.
    Make sure you bind the proxy to the lan nic.
    Thatīs pretty much it for me.
    "I can't believe it! Reading and writing actually paid off!"

It's best NOT to use TCP all the way around, even w/ a proxy. Don't use TCP for file & print sharing, it's insecure. Instead, use NetBeui for file & print sharing. It's faster than TCP, secure and non-routable.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Ok
    "I can't believe it! Reading and writing actually paid off!"