Thread: Is it random?

Is it random?

I've read a few posts about the dreaded 180/182's and how they are just issued randomly. I've gone from nowhere to 47 in the 7 weeks or so i've been folding but lately I seem to have been getting more and more 180's. Looking at my stats confirms out of 87 completed units 28 have been 180's! Checking the stats of the person above me in the table showed he had none! What's more he seemed to have a completely different set. Is it really random? Not complaining, just wondering.

P.s. Might be adding another processor to the action soon!

disabled account Deus ex Machina's Avatar
    The only effect has been with regard to WU's. However points are accessed, I seem to be on an even keel.

shant,
    david

I too have been getting many 180/182's (last 56/60). I believe Stanford assigns the projects based on what info they need. However, there was a discussion one time on the Stanford forum on assigning larger workunits to the faster computers as a feature of F@H3. I'm not sure if it has been implemented on their servers, or if that feature is even possible.

Originally posted by emobley3
    I too have been getting many 180/182's (last 56/60). I believe Stanford assigns the projects based on what info they need. However, there was a discussion one time on the Stanford forum on assigning larger workunits to the faster computers as a feature of F@H3. I'm not sure if it has been implemented on their servers, or if that feature is even possible.
    I have been getting a ton of 180's myself...........that's ok.......got 2 machines running............hit 79 today. Tryin to get up there with LT lol.

Originally posted by TIGRESS-73
    I have been getting a ton of 180's myself...........that's ok.......got 2 machines running............hit 79 today. Tryin to get up there with LT lol.
    The way LT likes to play with his computers, you will probably catch him when his mess up. Just kidding there LT heheh
    Too many computers can fry your brain.

As far as I know, Stanford does research on a couple of Proteins at any one time and then assigns work units to people depending on what they are working on and what they need.

The 180 & 182 definitely are the current flavour of the month, as my machines have been exclusively running them for the last few weeks.

Once Stanford needs info on other Proteins, you will see a more random distribution of Protein assignments. Once Stanford has all the info they need on those Proteins, you will no longer get them.
    P4 2Ghz, Asus P4T-E, 512MB of RDRAM, Leadtek GF4 TI-4400, SB 5.1, 80 GB IBM HD
    P3 667Mhz, Asus CUV4X, 512MB of SDRAM, Leadtek GF2 GTS, SB Live!, 60GB IBM HD
    P4 1.6GHZ, Toshiba laptop, 512MB of SDRAM, GF4, 30GB HD

At the rate our team is cranking out the 180/2s we should be depleating their need for them pretty fast. I know I've completed 35 and have 5 more processing right now.