Thread: Restricted Sites

Restricted Sites

I have been trying to filter out pop up ads using the restricted sites function of Internet Explorer. When an as pops up, I run netstat -a at the prompt, I can see what sites the comptuer has a connection with, and I can add these sites to the restricted sites in IE, this has worked to a point, the numbner of ads has decreased but IE is still making connections to sites that I have restricted.

Can anyone shed light on what I am missing, I know it has to be simple, but I can not see it through red eyes.

Yes, you will still see connections to the restricted domains because many time, images used in banner ads are coming from the same server. I sometimes still see connections to Doubleclick servers because some pages use images from those servers, but I get NO doubleclick cookies.

You can use wildcards in the restricted sites zone too:

For instance, to block ALL cookies from a domai type:
    *.xxxxxxxx.com, where xxxxxxxx = domain name.

Tip:
    IE stores the Restricted Sites here in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

You can Export that regkey and use it on other machines and save as a backup to use when reformatting.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Using Restricted sites does not block your computer from reaching the site in question, it only disables that site.

You can block your computer from reaching sites by using a Hosts file. This does not prevent the actual pop-up from opening -- a blank IE window can still be opened -- but a least you never reach the site.

To prevent pop-ups all together, you can disable Active Scripting in the Internet zone -- or use a Pop-up stopping program.

Try pop-up stopper at http://www.panicware.com/ it is free and work well.