Thread: Laser Printer

Laser Printer

Any recommandation? Looking for budget laser printer, thanks

Certified SG Addict
    I recently got a Samsung ML-1450 for $275.00 from CDW. 1200x1200 DPI and can hold an entire ream of paper in its tray, has both USB and parallel connectors, mid-sized footprint. Only thing is it doesn't come with a parallel or USB cable, so you have to provide your own.

Originally posted by Recondite
    I recently got a Samsung ML-1450 for $275.00 from CDW. 1200x1200 DPI and can hold an entire ream of paper in its tray, has both USB and parallel connectors, mid-sized footprint. Only thing is it doesn't come with a parallel or USB cable, so you have to provide your own.
    is the quality good enough? How about durability..does the toner seems clean and stable?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Stick with HP....pays off in the long run. I'll get Dave's World to recommend some models....he's our printer guy, works on every type of printer out there, and knows what good/and not.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Stick with HP....pays off in the long run. I'll get Dave's World to recommend some models....he's our printer guy, works on every type of printer out there, and knows what good/and not.
    i personally have had experience with 3 Laser printer, HP, Canon and Oki Data. The HP and Canon is just good, no complaints, performed really well..but the Oki data is not as good, toner is kinda crappy. This time actually it's my friend that's looking for a low budget laser printer, and Samsung is almost the only one. The HP 1200 is about $400 USD so i don't think he'll be able to afford it. But i do understand your point and I agree. Printers are long term items and mine as well buy a good one like monitor, speakers.

Certified SG Addict
    HP laser printers have always been the best, but for a 1200x1200 DPI printer, I couldn't pass up the Samsung at that price. It has great text output and tends to print graphics a bit dark at default settings, but with a slight bit of tweaking they print perfectly.

Originally posted by Recondite
    HP laser printers have always been the best, but for a 1200x1200 DPI printer, I couldn't pass up the Samsung at that price. It has great text output and tends to print graphics a bit dark at default settings, but with a slight bit of tweaking they print perfectly.
    I personally liked HP, but it's not me that's buying. No doubt that it's a really good price for a laser printer, it's around $180 or so? I will tell him to consider that since there's not much choices. How about brothers? anyone had experience with them?

It's also a matter of support of the printer.....eventually you will need toner cartridges, and replacement of some parts, like paper feeds, and pickup rollers, etc. That's where getting an HP pays off, because you can get those anywhere. Or if you need someone to service it, you can bring it almost anywhere, because HP certified printer technictions are all around. Or even shipping factory direct, or warranty. Getting oddball brand printers, what you ended up saving in money on the initial purchase, you get hurt at the end when you need toner and cannot find it, or you need a part replaced and cannot get it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Home of the SEC and Sugar Bowl Champions!
    i think HP makes the best printers alive...and well so does Cannon. but i must say Lexmark Laser printers are very impressive.

does HP have a Color laser printer supporting usb2.0?

Home of the SEC and Sugar Bowl Champions!
    sup yard...eeeks..im not sure buddy...have ya browsed hp.com?

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    does HP have a Color laser printer supporting usb2.0?
    Not that I've seen yet, and I doubt ever either. Color Laserjets are higher end printers, which are usually meant for offices, etc, where you'll have a solid network setup...and most likely Jet Direct networked printing...so meant for 10/100 Jet Direct print servers.

Even their higher end color lasers, with RISC processors and over a hundred megs of RAM....the bus isn't the bottleneck, it's the print spooler taking the job from the program, hopefully shared/held from a server on the network.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I got the Samsung 1650 and it's superb in my opinion. It's this year's 1450 if you like and features true 1200x1200dpi as well as 16MB RAM and 166MHz processor, meaning ~16ppm.

Long term costs are low as well.

Personally I dislike HP's, dunno why exactly - guess I've experienced too many of their lower end colour inkjets. Give me an epson for that role anytime. I've also been impressed by the Lexmark lasers - very sharp, but for the cost, you can't beat the Samsung 1650 - superb text and good graphics although I reckon their drivers need a little tweaking.