Thread: Need help asap on setting up home network with hub and two pcs!

nixhex

Lightbulb Need help asap on setting up home network with hub and two pcs!

Hey guys, i'm using comcast, my setup is this

Windows xp home on one machine, pro on the other, two ips from comcast, and a hub, everything is set up correctly.
    I'm able to ping each computer from the other one, and internet access works fine. I can connect to each computer through ftp just fine, but it stays at capped speeds of 15k after 5 mins of 3,000kBps throughput! What really stumps me, is that i can see the other computers on the network just fine, but it says network path not found. if i change my ip addresses, then restart, and change them back to dhcp, i can see the other computers, access the files, and everything for 5 mins, then whamo, back to nothing again. I have used windows xp home networking setup on both machines twice already, both are on the same network, i'm logged in as the same user on both computers, same password also, but still nothing. The only way i can get it to work is to set my ip address and subnet mask on both computers to a generic ip such as 111.111.111.111 and 111.111.111.112 then the only pc that can see the other one is the one ending in .111! Please assist me in this problem, i'm rather stumped, and i've been to every webpage imagineable! I'm not wanting to buy a router, frankly cause i don' thave the money to spend on one, and it should work just fine without a router (my setup should cause i've seen it work at lan parties!).
    Thanks in advance, if you have any other information that you need, please reply and i'll gladly provide, as long as it's not my cd-keys

You may need to disable the built in firewall on win xp on both computers.also read this about a hub
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/lan-switch2.htm

nixhex
    it is disabled, i forgot to post that!

SG Enthusiast
    two questions: why are you using ftp on a lan? Are you opposed to using Netbeui>File&Print Sharing?

Oops - #3: Explain this a little more
    but it stays at capped speeds of 15k after 5 mins of 3,000kBps throughput
    Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

nixhex
    i can get ftp to work just fine for 5 mins, then all of a sudden, capped speeds come into play
    and i can see the other computer in file and printer sharing, but in 5 mins it disappears
    it's really odd, and i don't know whats goin on, btw i'm using Winxp, so netbeui won't work

SG Enthusiast
    you can add netbeui. It's on the XP cdrom under "addons" or "extras" or something like that. Better security since you aren't using a router.

I'm still curious - are you actually running an FTP server or are you talking about file and print sharing when you refer to "ftp".

How large are the files you are transferring?

How to install NetBEUI on XP.

Hope that helps with the NetBEUI / XP problem.

nixhex
    cyberskye, it's not runnin an ftp, it's just when i need to xfer files from this computer to the next, and it's normally large, like a drive image of this computer to my other one.
    and norm, thx a ton!

SG Enthusiast
    That's what I thought. FTP and using the microsoft clipboard (which is what cut-n-paste is) are different - ftp is much better suited to large file transfer.

How much are you receiving/sending at a go?

(my setup should cause i've seen it work at lan parties!).
    Were folks playing games or transferring large files around? There is a big difference in resource usage between the two functions. Large transfers can use tons of memory and heavy disk i/o (tho it is usually sequential) - especially if the sum of the files transfered in one go exceeds physical memory. You end up swapping out to disk - have you ever noticed how the "time left to transfer" dialogue box the value will jumnp to some outrageous figure during large transfers...? This is rarely the case with gaming - short bursts and lots of math.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)