Thread: +12V @ 13.5...is this a problem?

+12V @ 13.5...is this a problem?

I am running an XP 2200 on an Asus A7V333. My +12V readings on Asus' PC probe show 13.5 and it continually blinks "out of threshold" messages. Is this something I need to be concerned about or is it simply a setting that The monitoring program dosn't recognize?
    OS XP Home/350 Watt PSU/Asus A7V333 Raid/Athlon XP 2200/*new* Thermaltake Volcano 9/20 Gig Maxtor-7200RPM/VisionTek GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128 DDR/Linksys LNE100TX Ver. 5 Network card/SoundBlaster Live! Value/512 Megs PC2700 DDR

I'd try a different monitoring tool as well as look str8 at what the bios says. ASUS Probe is known to be inaccurate

try motherboard monitor http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

SG Elite
    My ASUS P4T533 BIOS shows my +12v at 11.69 solid. Hmm...

well it could be the monitoring chip on the mobo is flakey or the PSU is going. Only way to find out is swap PSU and try the one now on another board but that could be risky if the PSU is throwin that much jucie....!!??!!

BIOS is showing 13 volts +/- .5, so basically it bounces betwen 12.5 and 13.5 but spends more time up in the 13's.

So I am coming to the conclusion that this is bad....what can I do to remdy this situation?

SG Elite
    Originally posted by 64bit
    well it could be the monitoring chip on the mobo is flakey or the PSU is going. Only way to find out is swap PSU and try the one now on another board but that could be risky if the PSU is throwin that much jucie....!!??!!
    And this is an Antec True550! Ack!

?? I was talking about Ves. That +13.5V seems very high. Anyone else?

if its under 14 all the time and power seems steady, as in system is stable i'd say its fine, the ASUS board should be able to deal with that.

do u have a voltmeter?
    Will Work For FSB

Venge This!
    13.5 is exceptionally high. i would switch to a different power supply before u have fried components and stablility problems.

VesuviusALT
    Hi guys this is me on another computer, I had to shut down the main system until I work out the voltage problem. Yes I do have a voltmeter laying around

well then lets check the output of the psu at the molex connector with the computer fully loaded.
    Will Work For FSB

VesuviusALT
    Sounds great...now if you could repeat that in english I'll get right on it seriously though I am still new to all this so be gentle....I'm all ears.

take a molex connector(the one that hooks up to the HDD and CD-ROM etc..), connect the positive lead of the meter to the yellow wire and the black lead to either of the black wires.

why did u make a new username?

i'll be back in half-hour
    Will Work For FSB

VesuviusALT
    I made a new user name because for some reason I couldn't log onto the other one. Most likley user error. I will get this going here in about 30 minutes, I have to slap on some AS3 and hook up this Volcano9

VesuviusALT
    Welp...guess I'll have to get your advice some other day there mOa2t4t since Airborne express can't manage to ship an HSF in 5 complete business days