Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do you Fold?

I fold for the hope of a cure for cancer.

Most of my relatives have died from cancer and as morbid as it sounds I am convinced that I will eventually have it. So in reality they are selfish reasons but I am willing to share my cpu power with the world.
    Have you checked your Folding Farm today?

I am folding because I hate to see resources wasted. If my computer sits there and waits for my next keystroke while I am typing a document or whether it does scientific research makes no difference to my computer, so it may as well do something usefull.

I personally doubt the ability of the code to produce anything usefull, but in the minute off-chance that anything usefull comes from this, it will be really usefull, so we may as well try for it rather than waste our CPU cycles. Does anybody know how accurate the simulations really are and if they can be used for anything?

If SETI finds extra-terrestial life 4000 light years away, so what? It will not help anybody. This may, so I will keep folding till either they find the cure for all diseases or untill they give up and concede that the simulations were so inaccurate, they never were going to work anyway.

Originally posted by Encnuk
    Does anybody know how accurate the simulations really are and if they can be used for anything?
    Hey Encnuk,

I think these links may help you out...

http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

http://folding.stanford.edu/science.html

Broke
    Wife - MS
    Son - Congenital Heart Disease
    Stepdaughter - Lukemia

I Grandchild and more to follow

Need I say more?
    Last edited by Chris; 04-24-03 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks for the links Ken, I had looked at them some time ago, but I just spent some more time reading through their papers.

I think Vijay Pande puts it quite well in his paper:
    It is important to keep in mind that all models are approximations, and the relevant question is not whether a model is "correct" (since all models are incorrect at some level), but whether a given model is "good enough" to capture the relevant physics to faithfully reproduce and predict the physical effect of interest.

As far as I understand it, the simulations they are currently doing can still be validated with laboratory experiments. I just hope that they can soon simulate folds which they have not already done a thousand times in laboratory experiments and thus that the simulation allows them to discover something new and usefull.
    P4 2Ghz, Asus P4T-E, 512MB of RDRAM, Leadtek GF4 TI-4400, SB 5.1, 80 GB IBM HD
    P3 667Mhz, Asus CUV4X, 512MB of SDRAM, Leadtek GF2 GTS, SB Live!, 60GB IBM HD
    P4 1.6GHZ, Toshiba laptop, 512MB of SDRAM, GF4, 30GB HD

Watching family suffer and losing family members to such horrible disease has drawn me to folding. I feel if I can help now by doing something I couldn't do then is somehow a tribute to the ones we've lost. When these cures are found it will save many and their families from feeling the pain.

"We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are."

Broke
    I wonder if some days we loose sight of the real reasons to fold???

My mom had breast cancer in both sides in '98 but has since got through it and is 100% back and it is gone.

I would like to keep the heat on to find even MORE cures for it and hopefully get rid of it for good someday.

B/c John is cool.
    Crackin' skulls and breaking kneecaps.

Folding with AMD POWER Loonatic's Avatar
    My dad had prostate cancer, and had it successfully removed.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I fold for my friends, I fold for my family, I fold for Humanity, I fold for the World

Lost my Dad to lung cancer after several operations and theropy that went on for years. Thought he had beat it but after about 10 years it showed up again undetected as throat cancer and it got him...Hopefully he's in a better place where Life if Good! Mom went away from heart disease. Lots of friends and neighbors I've known have either passed because of these terrible things or aren't really there and should have...God Bless to all living and dead who have suffered. The upside, if there is one, I'm kicking Ken's ass!
    Folding and Fishin'! Looking for them big Blues!

Okay, new twist here........I fold for the fame and glory. I watch the news every day and am waiting for this 'breaking story'. It should read something like this.Dateline: The Near Future"Today, the Stanford Univ. F@H project has designed a Protein that Cures <insert whatever desease your fighting against>!! The Speedguide.net team provided the actual machine that created the protein and this reporter traced that machine to an 'old fart' in So. Calif. (screen name Binksfan) who only has 2 computer folding at present. The Nobel Prize directors announced that as soon as the real name of this 'Binksfan' is devulged, he will receive an unpresidented 2 Nobel Prizes in the same year. One for medicine and the second for humanitarianism. The customary $50,000 dollar award will be doubled and when asked what he intends to do with the money, Binksfan said buy more computer to fold for the cause!!!"
    ߡk@

"Okay! Who stole the cork outta my lunch?"