Thread: Quake 3 Server

Question Quake 3 Server

My friend (Chillinhh on sg) and me have been trying to make a server for a while but just cant figure it out. whenever we join an empty server some other people join. Anyone know how to make one? Please help
    Member - Redneck Yacht Club

Put a Pass word on it

I mean how to make a server.

Does anyone know??????

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Are you making one that only you and your friend want to play in? Or are you making one that you wish to run full time and have the public join?

What type of bandwidth are you on? Looking to co-locate at server at your ISP?

My advice...use a dedicated server...don't serve and play on the same box. You enjoy a zero ping while your buddies log in from a distance and get lagged to heck cuz the computer is pushing it's CPU for your video.

If you have a router, well, get a higher performance one....as entry level routers don't serve games to well, get laggy. Nexland ISB SOHO is great!

On the box that will be your server, use the latest drivers for your NIC, hopefully have a good NIC like a 3COM or Intel...they perform better under concurrent loads than cheap 20 dollar NICs. Lean out your system, don't have anti-virus real time protection running. Have all Windows updates installed...have a healthy and lean system. No firewalls, nothing else running at all.

Here's a great resource for you:

http://www.gameadmins.com/
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeh just one me and my friend can play in, we would probably make the server though, his speeds are better. He has cable and I have DSL.

What kind of speeds do you get with your ADSL?

deleted_acct
    Well were looking to make one thats not full time just one that i can turn on and me and my friend can frag each other some for about an hour or so then leave. I currently do not have two systems so i have to be able to play and serve from the same machine.