Thread: Router Disconnect

jacksnbox

Router Disconnect

Specs: Cox cable, network consisting of XP, 2000 Pro, 2000 Server. Recently got hit by lightening and had to replace an old Samsung modem and a Lynksis router. The new modem is a surfboard (provided by Cox) and the router is a Hawking (because of the packet inspection). THe problem is that it needs to be reset everyday! Originally I had purchased an SMC router and it did the same thing. I spent hours on the phone with tech support. Has anyone had the reset problem with cable? I'm now suspicious of the surboard causing this.

Jacks, I am a Field Technician for AT&T Broadband (soon to be Comcast) and I have worked with the surfboard modems extensively for the last few years. And I must say that the Surfboard is an excellent modem, I have not had any such issues of which you speak of.

When your service stops working have you tried connecting a computer directly to the modem to see if the connection is still there?

The modem does not know what is connected to it, I do not know how exactly your system works exactly. When the modem establishes a connection it downloads a configuration file which tell the modem the up and down bandwidth restrictions, number of cpes that can be connected. For AT&T I have to register a computer or router through a web site, which tells the system and modem the mac address and allows the device to have a valid IP lease of 4 days. Unregistered devices only have a 1 hour lease.

I don't know if Cox uses a similar system but I would make sure that the mac for your router is registered if it needs to be, and try connecting a computer directly to the modem to test connection.

Just trying to help

jacksnbox
    It's not a problem with MAC addresses or getting an IP. I can get the router to work for hours or 1 day at a time, then it stops. If I reset it, it comes back up and all is fine...I'm not pullling a new IP. Just trying to figure out what is causing it to shut down and wondering if it was the surfboard.

Okay..... I don't think it is the modem due ot my past experience, but without seeing it personally I don't have an answer. I was jsut curious as to if you could still release and renew an IP from the router or does it need to be reset. I know you said you are not having a problem getting an IP, but I don't know from what.

Does the router just stop routing traffic and still dish out IP's???

jacksnbox
    The router stops responding..period. ( I use static IP's on the LAN). When I reset the router I still have the same WAN IP. When it stops responding, I can't even get to it;s interface to check the settings.

The inability to access the routers interface when it stops responding is a sure sign of a bad router in my eyes.

Is there possibly a firmware update for your router?

Broke
    Sounds like my old 3com modem, guts were a barracade.
    Went back to a linksys and no more trouble.

jacksnbox
    I just got a letter from Hawking and they said to send it back. On my dime of course!

jack , try to see setup for 'client lease time' on DHCP , maybe the time is enough

jacksnbox
    all of the computers on the LAN have static IPs...i only have 3 on the LAN..it;s easier that way.
    I'll just send it back and try another one. I liked this one because of the SPI feature. That allows me not to have to run Black Ice or Zone Alarm on the computers. If this doesn't work I'll have to spring for a good Netgear or Sonic Wave.