Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: What's the best popup killer?

  1. #1
    Regular Member CAT5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    westlyn
    Posts
    418

    What's the best popup killer?

    What's the best one? Ads gone, popup dummy, popup killer, and a whole bunch others. My favorite is the original popup killer that allows pops up to come up, shows the address, then you just kill them by clickng on the address. This way, you know what you kill by seeing it. I don't like those that kill the adds automatically. Anyone knows which ad killer will show pops up and allow you to kill it by clicking on the address....or somtin like that.

  2. #2
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,003
    i just started using proximitron, but it doesnt get them all.

  3. #3
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    i use zonealarm pro,takes care of everything

  4. #4

  5. #5
    deleted_acct
    Guest
    Once i had one that killed everthing that popped up. For example when i would go to a site and click on something and a box would need to pop up for it well it would kill those too.

  6. #6
    deleted_acct
    Guest
    I didnt know it until i couldnt listen to those crank yankers when i would click to listen nothing would happen. Have yall ever listened to those? www.comedycentral.com Some of them are stupid but a few are pretty good.

  7. #7
    SG Enthusiast Rainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,927
    Another vote for Free Surfer

  8. #8
    Registered User UnitedWeStand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,198
    this script is approximately 5.3 KB
    and writes two files (that are written 1-TXT and 1-LOG but they get larger as your needs grow).


    Copy this code and saveas "closepop.vbs"



    Code:
    Option Explicit
    '
    ' Many thanks to Bill for this excellent script
    ' Bill helps at http://www.ericphelps.com/
    ' Just run the script. The first time you run it, it will 
    ' create a sample list of pop-ups to be closed. It will
    ' also display a one-time help screen (the screen only appears
    ' when there is no list of pop-up titles).
    '
    ' This script will send an "Alt-F4" keystroke to any window
    ' that has a title you don't like. Typically, it is used to
    ' close those annoying browser "pop-up" windows. The list of
    ' bad titles is kept in a separate file named the same as
    ' this script (but with a TXT file extension), one title per 
    ' line.
    '
    ' Now you know how it works, here's how to use it. If you get a 
    ' pop-up while you are browsing, leave it up. Add the title to 
    ' the list of bad titles and save the list. The pop-up should 
    ' close immediately after you save the list. If it doesn't, 
    ' look again at the title. There may be a leading space or more
    ' than one space between words in the title. Modify the list
    ' again and save it. Once you get it right, that window will
    ' always be closed immediately after it opens in the future.
    ' Place this script in your startup directory.
    
    
    Dim gstrDataFile 'As String -- Name of text file containing bad window titles
    Dim strEngine 'As String -- Used to tell the user what program is running the wscript.
    gstrDataFile = FileNameLikeMine("txt")
    If Not CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").FileExists(gstrDataFile) Then 
        String2File "----- Title Data File -----" & vbCrLf & "Amazing XCam2" & vbCrLf & "about:blank" & vbCrLf, gstrDataFile
        strEngine = Wscript.FullName
        strEngine = Mid(strEngine, InstRrev(strEngine, "\") + 1)
        strEngine = Left(strEngine, Instr(strEngine, ".") - 1)
        strEngine = Ucase(Left(strEngine, 1)) & Lcase(Mid(strEngine, 2))
        MsgBox "This script will run until system shutdown killing windows whose titles are found in the ""Title Data File"" at """ & gstrDataFile & """." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "If you need to stop this process, kill the """ &  strEngine & """ program with the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Alternatively, you can stop the program by deleting, renaming, or emptying the title data file." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf &  "This dialog will only appear when there is no title data file."
    End If
    While True
        KillWindows
        Wscript.Sleep 500
    Wend
    
    
    Sub KillWindows
    Dim wsh 'As WScript.Shell
    Dim fs 'As Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Dim ts 'As Scripting.TextStream
    Dim strData 'As String -- Entire contents of gstrDataFile
    Dim strTitle 'As String -- Just one bad window title
    Const ForReading = 1
        Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
        On Error Resume Next
        Err.Clear
        Set ts = fs.OpenTextFile(gstrDataFile, ForReading, True)
        If Err.Number = 0 Then
            strData = ts.ReadAll
            If Err.Number = 0 Then
                'Read all title lines in data string
                Do Until (Instr(strData, vbCrLf) = 0)
                    strTitle = Left(strData, Instr(strData, vbCrLf) - 1)
                    strData = Mid(strData, Instr(strData, vbCrLf) + 2)
                    If strTitle <> "" Then
                        If wsh.AppActivate(strTitle) Then
                            wsh.SendKeys "%{F4}"
                            WriteLog Now & " " & strTitle
                        End If
                    End If
                Loop
                'Grab last bit in case there was no ending CrLf
                strTitle = strData
                If strTitle <> "" Then
                    If wsh.AppActivate(strTitle) Then
                        wsh.SendKeys "%{F4}"
                        WriteLog Now & " " & strTitle
                    End If
                End If
            Else
                ts.Close
                Wscript.Quit 1
            End If
        Else
            Wscript.Quit 1
        End If
        ts.Close
    End Sub
         
    Sub WriteLog(strText)
    'Write to screen if script is run with CSCRIPT. Otherwise, write to a log file.
    Dim fs 'As Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Dim ts 'As Scripting.TextStream
    Const ForAppending = 8
        If Lcase(Right(Wscript.FullName, 11)) = "cscript.exe" Then
            Wscript.Echo strText
        Else
            Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
            Set ts = fs.OpenTextFile(Left(Wscript.ScriptFullName, InstrRev(Wscript.ScriptFullName, ".")) & "log", ForAppending, True)
            ts.WriteLine strText
            ts.Close
        End If
    End Sub
    
    Function FileNameLikeMine(strFileExtension) 'As String
    'Returns a file name the same as the script name except
    'for the file extension. 
    Dim fs 'As Object
    Dim strExtension 'As String
        Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        strExtension = strFileExtension
        If Len(strExtension) < 1 Then strExtension = "txt"
        If strExtension = "." Then strExtension = "txt"
        If Left(strExtension,1) = "." Then strExtension = Mid(strExtension, 2)
        FileNameLikeMine = Left(Wscript.ScriptFullName, InstrRev(Wscript.ScriptFullName, ".")) & strExtension
    End Function
    
    Sub String2File(strData, strFileName)
    'Writes a string to a file
    Dim fs 'As Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Dim ts 'As Scripting.TextStream
    Const ForWriting = 2
        Set fs = Wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        Set ts = fs.OpenTextFile(strFileName, ForWriting, True)
        ts.Write(strData)
        ts.Close
    End Sub
    I create a shortcut to the closepop.txt in my taskbar.
    that way I can easily access it and type in the title.

    LET ME KNOW (PM me) if you are having a problem with this script.
    Last edited by UnitedWeStand; 08-19-02 at 05:53 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member CAT5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    westlyn
    Posts
    418
    wow...it's good to see VB codes again. I havent work on a prog for ayear already. Need to look at my book again. love vb

  10. #10
    Registered User UnitedWeStand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,198
    No PMs in my Inbox..

    if that script works for ya let me know..
    however the only entries I have found trouble with and its only minor.
    its
    "MSN" {there popup is titled MSN} so this ultimately kills hotmail logon.
    and
    ":" {for some reason it kills connection through ISDN}


    I'm looking for others too.
    good luck.

  11. #11
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    wilkes barre, pa
    Posts
    825
    i prefer popup cop myself

  12. #12
    Regular Member jeff8874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Detroit,MI
    Posts
    245
    PopUp Stopper Pro stops everything and has the option to add domains that you want to allow popups on.
    AMDAthlonXP 1800+
    SoundBlaster Audigy MP3+
    Radeon 7500 64mb Video
    Maxtor 7200rpm 20gig HD
    512SDRAM
    XP PRO SP1
    Motorola surfboard sb4100 modem
    WideOpenwest Cable 1500/300

    Pentium 3 1000mghz
    512mb SDRAM
    WinXP Pro

  13. #13
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    wilkes barre, pa
    Posts
    825
    Originally posted by jeff8874
    PopUp Stopper Pro stops everything and has the option to add domains that you want to allow popups on.
    so does pop up cop..

    bring it on.

  14. #14
    Regular Member jeff8874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Detroit,MI
    Posts
    245
    Bring what on? An intelligent debate over which Pop Up stopper is best? I will leave that up to you smart boy. You can argue with your self.
    Last edited by jeff8874; 08-20-02 at 08:56 PM.
    AMDAthlonXP 1800+
    SoundBlaster Audigy MP3+
    Radeon 7500 64mb Video
    Maxtor 7200rpm 20gig HD
    512SDRAM
    XP PRO SP1
    Motorola surfboard sb4100 modem
    WideOpenwest Cable 1500/300

    Pentium 3 1000mghz
    512mb SDRAM
    WinXP Pro

  15. #15
    Registered User UnitedWeStand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,198
    Originally posted by velvta


    so does pop up cop..

    bring it on.
    LOL... I hate pop ups and certain sites too. But I like to browse too.. so ultimately its no challenge for me if I use a simple script. Often I find Popup Killers and Popup stopper of great use but when I look at how complex them progs are to configure.. by all means I don't mind learning a program, But I then look at how simple a script is, I just use the script instead. its very quick popup killer.. no sound no taskbar flashing no reminders just add the title of the most common popups to the Closepopups.txt file.. and viola.
    hey try the script from above post and add these entries of common popups and crappy sites
    below to the ClosePopups.txt
    NOTE: the popups titles below are original without change and personally chose by me as annoying, uncalled for, and unneeded while surfing. feel free to remove and/or add to your Closepopups.txt to suite your own needs.


    :: HispaVista
    :: Welcome ::
    [Easy-Porn TGP] Categorized Free Porn Pics
    100% FREE - NO HIDDEN CHARGES ... EVER!!!
    100% FREE XXX PORN!! NO NEED CREDIT CARD!!!! JOIN NOW FOR FREE!!!!
    100% FREE XXX PORN!! ONLY A VALID E-MAIL ADDRESS REQUIRED!
    250x250_bg_1.gif
    40 + SITES FOR ONE THE COST OF ONE!!!
    888Casino
    about:blank
    Advertisment
    Advertisement
    Advertisement Banners.com
    Amazing XCam2
    Bang Bus
    Best Porn Sites
    Boobie Trap - All Tits, All The Time!
    Brinks
    CAMLUDER
    Certified Videos
    Check This Out!
    Classmates - Registration
    Click Here!
    CONGRATULATIONS
    CoolSavings
    Your Dream Job - Call Cruise Brothers today! 800.827.7779 Cruise agents for all major cruise lines, ships and vacations.
    CYBERAGE TOUR
    Discover Special Offer
    Extreme teen sex for adults.
    Free Debt
    FREE HARDCORE
    Free Hardcore Sex Pictures And Movies
    FREE Nude PornStars, High Quality FREE nude pornstar pics!
    Free Password Sites- An Underground Tutorial Of Getting Into Paysites Free
    Free Pic Of The Day!
    Free Porn Only
    Free Porn Sites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FREE Unlimited XXX Sex Hardcore Voyeur Amateur Live Videos and Nasty Sex Pics
    Gang Rapes - free rape pics, stories, videos
    GIRL CENTER: geile Pornovideos, Pornobilder, Porno, Girls, Chat, Livecams, Hardcore
    HARDCORE PUR
    HOT LUVIN' INSIDE!
    HOT XXX ACTION!!!
    http://www.freesmut.com/cgi-bin/arch...i?id=100966881
    IE
    Join 80 Sites for just $2.99!
    LavaLife
    My Favorite Sites
    Naked Hot Sluts
    NovaStar Mortgage
    OhneTitel-1
    Popup
    PORNSTARS SEXXXX
    Pur Lolitas
    Press Ctrl+D to Bookmark NOW!!!
    Press ctrl+D to Bookmark This Free Pic of the Day!
    Reduce Your Debt!!!
    Samsonite Back Packs
    Sex-On-The-Side Club
    SexImp Adult Links
    Sexy Slut Girl
    SINFUL HARDCORE :: Absolutely Sinful XXX Hardcore Action!
    Surftips - geil!!!
    Tgp.FreePicsAndVideos.com
    THE ORIGINAL PICPOST MAINPAGE
    Today's Special Offers - Classmates.com
    Top FREE Fetish and XXX Sites!
    TOP SEX SITES!
    Top Sites
    Want free porn? You got it!
    Where do you look for special offers?
    Willkommen im Cam-Studio
    Willkommen im Cam-Palast
    Willkommen im Hardcore-Hotel
    Work From Home
    World's largest casino
    xxx sex videos and pics, Hardcore sex Movies and Teen porn.
    vnsc

  16. #16
    New Member vicoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    22
    I'm not exactly sure what "bring it on " meant either. I guess some people like to get into foolish debates over which program is the best. Kinda like my bike is better than yours. Hilarious!

  17. #17
    Registered User UnitedWeStand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,198
    Originally posted by vicoman
    I'm not exactly sure what "bring it on " meant either. I guess some people like to get into foolish debates over which program is the best. Kinda like my bike is better than yours. Hilarious!
    yeah its foolish.. but so is eating icecream on a cone while in complete darkness.
    I'll still bring it though.
    that script above runs from a floppy. No install.
    and since you have vb installed automatically (if you have win95-XP) so it shall work very well on your system.
    enjoy.

  18. #18
    Regular Member CAT5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    westlyn
    Posts
    418
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand
    this script is approximately 5.3 KB
    and writes two files (that are written 1-TXT and 1-LOG but they get larger as your needs grow).


    Copy this code and saveas "closepop.vbs"



    Code:
    Option Explicit
    '
    ' Many thanks to Bill for this excellent script
    ' Bill helps at http://www.ericphelps.com/
    ' Just run the script. The first time you run it, it will 
    ' create a sample list of pop-ups to be closed. It will
    ' also display a one-time help screen (the screen only appears
    ' when there is no list of pop-up titles).
    '
    ' This script will send an "Alt-F4" keystroke to any window
    ' that has a title you don't like. Typically, it is used to
    ' close those annoying browser "pop-up" windows. The list of
    ' bad titles is kept in a separate file named the same as
    ' this script (but with a TXT file extension), one title per 
    ' line.
    '
    ' Now you know how it works, here's how to use it. If you get a 
    ' pop-up while you are browsing, leave it up. Add the title to 
    ' the list of bad titles and save the list. The pop-up should 
    ' close immediately after you save the list. If it doesn't, 
    ' look again at the title. There may be a leading space or more
    ' than one space between words in the title. Modify the list
    ' again and save it. Once you get it right, that window will
    ' always be closed immediately after it opens in the future.
    ' Place this script in your startup directory.
    
    
    Dim gstrDataFile 'As String -- Name of text file containing bad window titles
    Dim strEngine 'As String -- Used to tell the user what program is running the wscript.
    gstrDataFile = FileNameLikeMine("txt")
    If Not CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").FileExists(gstrDataFile) Then 
        String2File "----- Title Data File -----" & vbCrLf & "Amazing XCam2" & vbCrLf & "about:blank" & vbCrLf, gstrDataFile
        strEngine = Wscript.FullName
        strEngine = Mid(strEngine, InstRrev(strEngine, "\") + 1)
        strEngine = Left(strEngine, Instr(strEngine, ".") - 1)
        strEngine = Ucase(Left(strEngine, 1)) & Lcase(Mid(strEngine, 2))
        MsgBox "This script will run until system shutdown killing windows whose titles are found in the ""Title Data File"" at """ & gstrDataFile & """." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "If you need to stop this process, kill the """ &  strEngine & """ program with the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Alternatively, you can stop the program by deleting, renaming, or emptying the title data file." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf &  "This dialog will only appear when there is no title data file."
    End If
    While True
        KillWindows
        Wscript.Sleep 500
    Wend
    
    
    Sub KillWindows
    Dim wsh 'As WScript.Shell
    Dim fs 'As Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Dim ts 'As Scripting.TextStream
    Dim strData 'As String -- Entire contents of gstrDataFile
    Dim strTitle 'As String -- Just one bad window title
    Const ForReading = 1
        Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
        On Error Resume Next
        Err.Clear
        Set ts = fs.OpenTextFile(gstrDataFile, ForReading, True)
        If Err.Number = 0 Then
            strData = ts.ReadAll
            If Err.Number = 0 Then
                'Read all title lines in data string
                Do Until (Instr(strData, vbCrLf) = 0)
                    strTitle = Left(strData, Instr(strData, vbCrLf) - 1)
                    strData = Mid(strData, Instr(strData, vbCrLf) + 2)
                    If strTitle <> "" Then
                        If wsh.AppActivate(strTitle) Then
                            wsh.SendKeys "%{F4}"
                            WriteLog Now & " " & strTitle
                        End If
                    End If
                Loop
                'Grab last bit in case there was no ending CrLf
                strTitle = strData
                If strTitle <> "" Then
                    If wsh.AppActivate(strTitle) Then
                        wsh.SendKeys "%{F4}"
                        WriteLog Now & " " & strTitle
                    End If
                End If
            Else
                ts.Close
                Wscript.Quit 1
            End If
        Else
            Wscript.Quit 1
        End If
        ts.Close
    End Sub
         
    Sub WriteLog(strText)
    'Write to screen if script is run with CSCRIPT. Otherwise, write to a log file.
    Dim fs 'As Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Dim ts 'As Scripting.TextStream
    Const ForAppending = 8
        If Lcase(Right(Wscript.FullName, 11)) = "cscript.exe" Then
            Wscript.Echo strText
        Else
            Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
            Set ts = fs.OpenTextFile(Left(Wscript.ScriptFullName, InstrRev(Wscript.ScriptFullName, ".")) & "log", ForAppending, True)
            ts.WriteLine strText
            ts.Close
        End If
    End Sub
    
    Function FileNameLikeMine(strFileExtension) 'As String
    'Returns a file name the same as the script name except
    'for the file extension. 
    Dim fs 'As Object
    Dim strExtension 'As String
        Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        strExtension = strFileExtension
        If Len(strExtension) < 1 Then strExtension = "txt"
        If strExtension = "." Then strExtension = "txt"
        If Left(strExtension,1) = "." Then strExtension = Mid(strExtension, 2)
        FileNameLikeMine = Left(Wscript.ScriptFullName, InstrRev(Wscript.ScriptFullName, ".")) & strExtension
    End Function
    
    Sub String2File(strData, strFileName)
    'Writes a string to a file
    Dim fs 'As Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Dim ts 'As Scripting.TextStream
    Const ForWriting = 2
        Set fs = Wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        Set ts = fs.OpenTextFile(strFileName, ForWriting, True)
        ts.Write(strData)
        ts.Close
    End Sub
    I create a shortcut to the closepop.txt in my taskbar.
    that way I can easily access it and type in the title.

    LET ME KNOW (PM me) if you are having a problem with this script.
    I copied and saved it as popup.vbs and double clik it and get this error:

    Line: 109
    char: 5
    Error: A dynamic lybrary (DLL) initializaiton routine failed.

    Code: 8007045A
    Source: (null)

    I am running XP

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    5,174
    bring it on.
    He's talking about the popup windows... Not a debate.

  20. #20
    Registered User UnitedWeStand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,198
    Originally posted by CAT5


    I copied and saved it as popup.vbs and double clik it and get this error:

    Line: 109
    char: 5
    Error: A dynamic lybrary (DLL) initializaiton routine failed.

    Code: 8007045A
    Source: (null)

    I am running XP
    that bothers me..
    LET ME KNOW (PM me) if you are having a problem with this script.

    wow some people forget the most important part..
    PM me. means Private Message Me.
    I'm not going to keep posting another script that doesn't work flawlessly again... I promise.
    but like stated in My first post to this thread.. PM me with the problems. Really no need to quote the whole darn Post. Just to tell me a problem. PM me. that simple.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •