Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online test vs Real test

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves

Arrow Online test vs Real test

Real test wins

What's the difference? I mean why is one so much better than the other? Can you elaborate a bit?

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves

Good link thanks. But it doens't really explain why one is better than the other, could you explain a bit?

Well, do you want to download faster or have a inaccurate online test score

What? I'm just asking for some clarification on why one is better than the other.

If you have a fast online test score, find out how fast you are really downloading here:

ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/pub/test64

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear. My question is why is one test more reliable than the other? To they incorporate different TCP/IP Protocols or something? Is one based on different factors than the other? That's what I want to know, not just "do this test and see", I can do that, I want to understand what the difference is.

I go by what SG recommends as they are alot smarter than me, plus in testing I find real test faster

So, what your saying is you don't know? If you don't understand something or can't explain it then you shouldn't recommend it to people.

Oh, I know but you have search engine, fine out, I stick by SG

Originally posted by Lobo
    Oh, I know but you have search engine, fine out, I stick by SG
    What? If you know please explain it, that was the whole point of me asking.

You test, try real test vs online, choose best

I apologize again, but do you not understand what I'm asking? It's not about what's the fastest test, it's about why is one more accurate than the other? You ALWAYS say do "real" test but never explain why.

Ask SG

You are the "guru" here, I have read this site for a long time and have never posted. Everyone comes here asking for your advice and I see some inaccurate information being provided from you, I respect the fact you spen time helping people but you need to understand things and have the facts straight when helping others or they just get confused. It's not right to "pass the buck" to Speedguide or anyone else for that matter when asked a direct question, if you don't know just say so, nobody knows everything. Like the saying goes "the only dumb question is the question not asked".

Real Test downloads win, case closed

But why? That's my question.

Closed

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by nickburns
    I'm sorry if I'm not being clear. My question is why is one test more reliable than the other? To they incorporate different TCP/IP Protocols or something? Is one based on different factors than the other? That's what I want to know, not just "do this test and see", I can do that, I want to understand what the difference is.
    If you guys are referring to the two ways to test here: http://speedguide.net/faq/index.php?...id=14&q_id=110 I can try to explain a bit better:

If you are testing from one page on the net, you are measuring the slowest connection between you and the server you are downloading from... Your connection is not necessarily the bottleneck, so the reported speed might be lower than yours. Also cache comes into play, on your own PC, your ISP's proxy servers, etc. that might produce incorrect higher result. Also, many "online speed tests" incorrectly adjust for TCP headers or compression.

With all that in mind, it's better when you download from multiple fast servers at the same time, since the chance of your connection being the bottleneck increases a lot.

Why distant servers, you might ask ? Because it is a better representation of real Internet traffic. Because downloading from your ISP only tests the connection between you and them, it does not test your ISPs backbones which might be the bottleneck even if your broadband modem is not capped. Bandwidth/leased lines cost a lot of money to your ISP and they oversubscribe, unless you have a dedicated business line.

Just my 2
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑