Thread: windows XP PRO software prob...

Exclamation windows XP PRO software prob...

ok... anyone here who has windows XP PRO, i am in great need. I don't have the original copy of the windows xp pro cd, but i have an exact copy of it with the correct cd-key and all. Everything works well, except that i get these error msgs everything basically i run a program, saying that there was an error and the program will shut down and then also my computer restarts on it's own like every 15 mins or so... which is also very annoying... even when i'm not doing anything. So i was wondering if this was all b/c i have a copy of the OS, and not an original? I ran all the critical updates on the microsoft.com site and then restarted and still i get the same error msgs and restarting problems. Could this be a hard drive related failure? I honestly have no clue what is going on with it.. am i missing a file or is there a file corrupted? How can i fix this? please someone help... i know there's someone out there who can.. and i would appreciate anything that you guys can come up with....
    -I know where there's a good party. They've got liquor in the front and poker in the rear-

You can prevent the computer from automatically restarting by right clicking on "my computer" go to the advanced tab and then startup and recovery. Uncheck "automatically restart." As for the other problems, I doubt it has anything to do with your burned CD. I run a copy of XP pro on 3 pc's and not a single problem. Have you recently installed software that is not XP compatible? How long has this been happening? What did you do to the system prior to it happening? Did you disable any running services? What is the exact error you are getting? Give the details and what it says and how it happens.

Try running system file checker also. You may have corrupted required .DLL files or other vital system files.

Exclamation

i only have Winamp, AIM, and IE running on it. But i started in safe mode with command prompts and i noticed that everytime it seems to hang on the file "alim1541.sys" after loading all the other system files before it and then continues the start up. Right now i'm gonna uninstall windows xp pro and try out ME and run the same exact programs and see what happens. If anyone has heard of a problem like this one.. please come forth and talk to me.. thanx!
    -I know where there's a good party. They've got liquor in the front and poker in the rear-

WinME is a garbage OS next to XP. You might want to just re-install XP.Do a fdisk and format, and reinstall. When you installed XP, did you do the XP readiness test? You might have a hardware conflict goin on. In that case, WinME would be better. Software conflicts are fixable in XP, but not hardware.

ALIM1541.SYS - AGP support file for Aladdin TNT2.
    AMDAthlonXP 1800+
    SoundBlaster Audigy MP3+
    Radeon 7500 64mb Video
    Maxtor 7200rpm 20gig HD
    512SDRAM
    XP PRO SP1
    Motorola surfboard sb4100 modem
    WideOpenwest Cable 1500/300

Pentium 3 1000mghz
    512mb SDRAM
    WinXP Pro

I am going to rule out a pirated copy as we don't allow anything even remotely resembling warez around here...

Then I am going to send you to software..

SG Enthusiast
    You can always stick you good cd in and from a command prompt
    type sfc /scanonce just in case you install missed a file or two.