Thread: Development blues...how sad

Thumbs down Development blues...how sad

I live in a small town (no John Cougar Mellancamp jokes).

Right behind my apartment are a couple large cow fields surrounded on 3 sides by houses...

OK, make that surrounded on 4 sides.

The past 2 weeks have seen a 25 acre field just out my back door get completely dozed, scraped, dug, channeled and leveled as they prep the site for a sub-division.

What just got me was watching a farmer cut the grass in the field behind me...as he followed the fenceline he just stared out at what was just another field a while ago and is now a gigantic construction site...mowed very slowly.

The hawk that's been living in the hedgerow for the past 4 years is gone...haven't seen it since the heavy equipment got here.

Sigh. Hard to watch.

That sucks

damn it! that field was definetely nice to look at... are they

building more townhoses for students or what?? The owner or

that land probably made a bundle of ca$h...

Originally posted by Loch-nar
    damn it! that field was definetely nice to look at... are they

building more townhoses for students or what?? The owner or

that land probably made a bundle of ca$h...
    Hi Loch-nar, I think the owner of that land had taxes to pay, he could not afford any more, also if he was farming it, he had loans due on the equipment to farm that land, He probaly also had to pay the seed company for the seed he bought and who knows maybe the crops failed....Then again he may be older and his sons did not want to follow in his footstep for little or no reward for there hard work....and he could not work his land by himself anymore...Most farmers I know, hate the idea of selling the land, but somtimes there backs are up against the wall......

Just wanted to remind you there are 2 sides to a story....IMHO

chevyman
    When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by chevyman282

Hi Loch-nar, I think the owner of that land had taxes to pay, he could not afford any more, also if he was farming it, he had loans due on the equipment to farm that land, He probaly also had to pay the seed company for the seed he bought and who knows maybe the crops failed....Then again he may be older and his sons did not want to follow in his footstep for little or no reward for there hard work....and he could not work his land by himself anymore...Most farmers I know, hate the idea of selling the land, but somtimes there backs are up against the wall......

Just wanted to remind you there are 2 sides to a story....IMHO

chevyman
    I agree, but in this case it was about the money (a few newspaper articles made this clear). Never cropped, just used as pasture for dairy cows. I'd much rather have seen the space bought by the city and turned into some sort of community park that'd have left it green however. Then the owner could still have gotten $ for it but the space would stay relatively the same.

That realy sucks. I see that happening here in Connecticut all the time and it hurts to see all that pretty farm land wasted just to have more subdivisions come in. Wish there was some kinda law against developing farm lands.
    ASUS P4P800 865PE Springdale
    P4 2.4c
    ATI Radeon 9600Pro 128
    Crucial 512 PC3200
    Antec 660B Performance Plus Case
    Antec TruePower 330
    Linksys Cable/DSL Router