Thread: Froze when install XP!

Froze when install XP!

My harddrive caught a static and went on fire yesterday when i was building my friend's computer , so today I went to buy a WD 40GB. I came back happliy, actually not really, spent $140 unwillingly....I installed, fdisk it into primary 8GB, all rest goes into the other drive. When I install ME, no problem. Then when i try to install XP, it stop installing at one point and when i restart the comp, it popped up a blue screen saying that my c: is corrupted and cannot be repair........
    So i cleaned out all partition and re-partition it and it's installing ME now.
    What i m trying to do now is install ME first, get internet working, do the update install, see whether it'll work

All I can say is if something is going wrong, the first place I would look would be at Windows ME. Worst OS Ever!
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
    2x512 Corsair TwinX pc3200 in Dual Channel
    Chaintech GeForce 6600gt
    NEC ND3520 Dual-layer Burner
    2x80GB Seagate SATA HDD
    AeroCool JetMaster Case (black)
    Athena Power 500w PSU

Ya know what cy, I've yet to see xp install clean over me.

If ya got the upgrade install over 98se or 2000.

The best is to do a clean install though.

exchange the harddisk.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Is it an XP upgrade cd? Or an entire copy? If an entire copy, then why is ME going on first? I'd pop in the XP cd....delete all partitions using NT's partitioning utility, and formatting them there.

If an upgrade cd....this used to work with prior OS's and software, haven't had the chance to try it with XP, but you used to be able to install it on a blank cd...then when it fails to find a prior version to upgrade, it will prompt you for the location, and you pop in a Win9X cd, point it to the cd, then it says "OK", back to XP cd...back to the install. This used to work with 98 upgrade...I'd just pop in the 95 cd for a minute.

Granted yes ME is a joke of a buggy OS, but it's not booting into ME, shouldn't be a problem.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

My copy of XP is full. However, it's not bootable and cannot be run in dos. So i have to install either 98 first or ME, in this case, i picked ME.

Anyways, problem solved. Turned out to be the PCI slot that my NIC was in is screwed up or conflicting with something, so my system wasn't stable. All i did is switched NIC to another slot and all went ok.

One thing i still don't understand though is that why did it tell me that my HD is corrupted but not conflict?

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar
    Every Xp cd can boot if the bios is set to boot from cd-rom first. even just the upgrade. In beginning of the install it will ask you to verify you able to use the upgrade, you just put the me disk in and hit enter, then it will verify and ask for the xp disk again.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

Originally posted by Hybridmonolith
    Every Xp cd can boot if the bios is set to boot from cd-rom first. even just the upgrade. In beginning of the install it will ask you to verify you able to use the upgrade, you just put the me disk in and hit enter, then it will verify and ask for the xp disk again.
    muhaha...i got mine from......w....a...r.....e..z....

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar
    Well not a good idea to use it. Anyway go to www.hotfiles.com and download WinISO and create a Iso of the OS. Then burn it as ISO in CD burnig Software. But not a good idea to use it. That could be the prob.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

Originally posted by cy

muhaha...i got mine from......w....a...r.....e..z....
    WAREZ=BORG
    You are probably a member of their collective without even knowing it.
    There collective consists of your bank and credit card numbers and anything else they can get off of your hard drive.
    Might be a good idea to scan for Trojans before going online.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.