Thread: Olympus 3040 settings ?

Question Olympus 3040 settings ?

I recently bought an Olympus 3040 and think it's a great camera but have one question for you folks in the know-

What do I need to set, and at what setting to eliminate or reduce as much as possible the time between pressing the shutter button and the picture being taken ? If I'm trying to snap a quick shot of something not stationary I usually miss it or it's blurry because it takes a second or two for the shutter to trip.

I thought it might be easier to ask you folks for suggestions than it is to read the "bible" that came with it again !

Thanks !

Tom
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

Hey Westy,

I think that I will be able to help you out! Here are a few simple steps to stop those blurry pictures and/or reduce shutter lag.

1. Use a tripod, as your hand are probobly shaking ever so slightly, difficult for you to notice, but very easy for the camera to notice!

2. Use the camera's automatic timer, that way you dont even have to hold the button down on the camera and your pictures will come out as sharp as ever if you use this in combination with a tripod.

3. Use as many manual settings as possible such as setting your shutter speed and F-stop manually. This reduces the amount of time that the CPU (brain) of the camera will actually have to think about what settings it must use.

4. Use the manual focus if possible! As much of the time from shutter lag, is the camera actually trying to focus on your subject.

5. If your subject is in motion your are going to want to manually set your camera to use a quick shutter speed. The faster the better. A setting like 1/500 or faster is usually good for outdoor shots of things in motion as long as they are not moving to fast such as a race car.

Try those few things out. And let me know how things work out!

YiKeS