Thread: ADSL dropping out.

tatzol

ADSL dropping out.

I have and so has a mate the same problem. That is the ADSL keeps disconnecting after a very short time (usually a coupla minutes) I have and Alcatel USB modem on a P4 he has similar specs. The only other thing is we both run XP. On the small home network it just drops and drops. Anyone know if there is an issue with USB modems and XP or any advice on how to fix the problem.
    Thanx in advance for any help/advice...

When you say the DSL drops, are you losing sync or is the modem staying in sync, and you cant use the connection?

If you are losing sync, you may need to consider filtering the DSL signal off of every other device plugged into that line. Once you have filtered all devices but the modem from the line, if you still lose sync, it is time to contact your ISP. You need to make sure you are doing everything you can to narrow down the problem before you call them.

unfortunately, not all ISP techs are as knowledgeable as my guys, but you should be able to get an answer by isolating the problem.

Check out http://www.2wire.com for DSL filter gear
    I have all the money I'll ever need...... if I die by 4 this afternoon - Groucho Marx

When I think of those whom I respect the most, you are there.....serving them drinks.

Expectations Vs. Reality
    Run a web-based antivirus scan
    HELP!! I have a virus, how do I get rid of it????
    Minimum permissions REQUIRED for running IIS5

Yes, there are many issues with USB modems and broadband connections especially with XP.

tatzol
    Thanx for the replies guys. OK the ADSL modem is still in sync (as far as the indicator lights go. Basically it dumps and the connected icon disappears and then when ya go to do something is gives a message that it is reconnecting. Strange as hell, that we both have the same prob and like I said we are both on XP, I thought there must be something simple I am missing.
    Once again thanx for the replies...

Have you checked for a Bios Update/USB controller update for your machine's Motherboard?

You might also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling your USB root hub controller. Pretty simple to do.

1) Unplug ANY USB device you have attached to your machine.

2) Right click on My Computer, left click on the Hardware tab, left click on the Device Manager button.

3) In the device manager, open the USB Root Hub Controller tree and select and uninstall everything in that tree.

4) Reboot. During the boot, XP will see the controller driver is missing and will re-install it.

Check to see if the problem persists. If it does, you may want to contact your ISP about swapping your modem for an Ethernet model.
    I have all the money I'll ever need...... if I die by 4 this afternoon - Groucho Marx

When I think of those whom I respect the most, you are there.....serving them drinks.

Expectations Vs. Reality

drop VPN but not ADSL connect

I have a slightly different problem: my ADSL stays up for the internet in general, but my (Nortel) VPN thru the ADSL to the office refuses to stay alive if I don't swap some data better than every two minutes. If I search all the office drives for an imaginary file (a process that can take hours) the VPN stays up. If I do nothing for a couple of minutes I have to rePIN into the VPN.

A colleague down the road (identical hw/sw/VPN, but different phone exchange for the ADSL connect) does NOT have the same issue: his VPN stays alive until the daily down of the VPN around 5pm.

I strongly suspect a config problem with my PC.

Config: old 333MHz portable talking thru Zyxel624R-I @ 512kbps using w2000.

Thanks for ANY pointers.

regards, 'conda

Anon, I highly doubt there is anything about your difficulties relating to DSL.

Your "Friend down the street", although you may be on 2 different loops, are your loops coming out of the same CO?

If so, you are hitting the same switch, and are riding the same access circuit in the telco's system, no difference there. You said he has a different phone exchange for DSL, did you mean he has a different ISP?

Some ISP's set low timeouts on certain types of connections. Some do not allow VPN at all. If you are not using the same ISP, check with your ISP and see if they have any issues with you running a VPN across that connection. They may have set a low timeout threshold for VPN connections, which would close them via a timeout after a cet period of time.

Expectations Vs. Reality